PDA

View Full Version : Linux Install Fest - Auckland

pctek
28-09-2005, 03:53 PM
3 December.
North Shore Event Centre

All flavours of Linux.
Or just go and watch if you are curious...

Chilling_Silence
28-09-2005, 04:51 PM
Hey thats nice, I didnt even have to make the post myself :)

Jen
28-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Crikey, news gets out fast. We haven't even started officially advertising it yet. I'm curious, how did you get to hear about it? :)

l0gic
28-09-2005, 06:58 PM
Is this ever going to happen in Chch?

sambaird
28-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Is this ever going to happen in Chch?
or thames

Jen
28-09-2005, 09:43 PM
l0gic and sambaird, both of your local LUG's might offer installfests. The Waikato LUG is quite a big group and then there is the Canterbury LUG. Check out their websites.

Auckland isn't that far away from Thames either ... ;)

Should be an interesting day, not only installations but troubleshooting existing systems plus demonstration boxes running for those who would just like to have a general nosey at Linux. :)

Metla
28-09-2005, 10:38 PM
I would go, But I would probally say something to upset the place and Jen would have to throw me out and ban me for a few days....

...............Muhahahahahah1111

pctek
29-09-2005, 07:15 AM
Crikey, news gets out fast. We haven't even started officially advertising it yet. I'm curious, how did you get to hear about it? :)
A customer of mine - he's a Suse Linux user. Well possibly other Linuxs too, but he has that one on his laptop.

Chilling_Silence
29-09-2005, 10:18 AM
Metla, if you made it up to Aucks, I promise....

...If somebody had to throw you out, it wouldnt be just Jen ;)

Really though, if you're in Auckland on the day, cruise on round. Doors open at 9:30 to the general public.
We've already got the support of Novell, HP, and we're looking to drum up some more suppoort for the day over the coming week or two!

Im personally looking forward to it.

Out of curiousity, who here has been to an Installfest before?

Metla
29-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I absolutly promise if I just happen to be 542KM north of home on that particuler morning I'll make the effort to call in..... :rolleyes:

What time does it go to?

Oh yeah, Im 18 stone, You will need a crew to eject me....

Muhahahahahaha

Im thinking of setting up a Windows install fest in the carpark, People will be amazed by its simplicity........

personthingy
29-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Is this ever going to happen in Chch?http://clug.net.nz/index.php/MeetingSchedule?PHPSESSID=02b16d0e1e60fdddfe8b1c01 f6b3e6d6

If that link doesn't work for you, try
http://clug.net.nz/ The link for "meetings and presentations" is about 6 lines down the page.

pctek
29-09-2005, 02:28 PM
HP? Oh yuk, why do they have to come and ruin the fun.

Hey Metla I'll join you in the carpark - I'll do DOS.

Metla
02-10-2005, 03:36 AM
I've just mentioned to Mrs Metla I could take her up to Auckland for a weekend away...

Sleepy
02-10-2005, 05:34 AM
how much does that cost? is there a website about it or something?

Jen
02-10-2005, 09:33 AM
how much does that cost? is there a website about it or something?There is no cost. You just turn up with your computer and then have the distro of your choice installed and configured for you. The installation can be done as a dual boot with an existing Windows OS. The distro will have to be suitable for your hardware specifications eg. no asking for Ubuntu to be installed on a 486.

There is a website for the event, however it just has the very basic information on it at this stage. It will be open for registrations about one month out from the event and will have full details on it closer to the time.

http://installfest.linux.net.nz/aucklug05/

Chilling_Silence
02-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Im still semi-secretly hoping somebody will show up with a 486 asking for Gentoo, so I can hook up all the boxes with DistCC.

Please note that on the day I wont be such a 'g33k' :)

Its shaping up to be a pretty good day! We'll be getting fliers etc together shortly, so start spreading the word.

Even if you _dont_ want Linux installed (shock horror), but just want to come along and have a nosey, thats fine!

There is going to be a BBQ there too, and Im sure we'll have other refreshments.

beama
02-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Chill a bit off the subject here but when will your distro appear on the pf1 distro watch. Hows the "Chiller Linux" going anyway or is it lost.

Chilling_Silence
02-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Oh no, its going good... Gave a copy to Andreas Giradett from Novell (He wrote Yoper + SuPER) and he likes it.

My biggest problem is there's one error during boot, and also PS2 mice dont seem to be picked up Only USB). Other than that, its awesome :D

Come along to the Installfest and Im sure I'll have it fixed by then, as well as a free copy for ya

beama
02-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Come along to the Installfest and Im sure I'll have it fixed by then, as well as a free copy for ya

Metla has 500 odd K's, I need a passport to come up to the North Island and wants worse I'll have to remove my eyepatch.

sarum
25-10-2005, 08:53 PM
or thames
I'm old and no longer drive, but I enjoy Linux on my 2nd computer. Ubuntu now, after struggling with Fedora 3 for too long.
Are there enough of us in Thames for a LUG, or an occasional meeting.
Sincerely Sarum

Prescott
25-10-2005, 09:04 PM
im hoping there will be one of these install fests in dunedin next year....

gibler
25-10-2005, 09:49 PM
im hoping there will be one of these install fests in dunedin next year....

We (Dunedin Linux Users Group) had one sometime last year, but things are pretty quiet this year (only think we've had one meeting). Surely, we'll get organised for next year.

There was plenty of odd (and old) hardware that people had. Some people were even running Windows :rolleyes:

Prescott
25-10-2005, 10:17 PM
that would be wicked.

ill be a uni student next year :rolleyes:

bachelorno1
26-10-2005, 06:54 PM
I'll be there with my Dick Smith XH1154 PCI modem ;)

TIA
Cameron

Mr Wetzyl
02-11-2005, 05:11 PM
I am going to come...may learn a thing or two about the penguin os. I have been with the windows too long...

Metla
02-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Think I'm flying over to Aussie to see Motorhead and Motley Poo perform that weekend.

Jen
02-11-2005, 05:19 PM
The more the merrier. :)

The installfest is not just for getting Linux installed for you by experts, but you can also just come along and see Linux being used for a variety of purposes (including gaming :p). There will be a few demonstration systems running for the curious to look at.

If you want to get Linux installed, then it may be wise to pre-register your attendance on the Installfest (http://installfest.linux.net.nz/aucklug05/index.php) website so that you get priority on those who just turn up on the day with their boxes. The website pre-registration will open hopefully within a week. :)

Metla
02-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Are you and Chilli the Linux experts referred to on the site?

And more importantly, Do you introduce yourselves as such?

Jen
02-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Are you and Chilli the Linux experts referred to on the site?

And more importantly, Do you introduce yourselves as such?The AuckLUG can have over 60 members at times attending the monthly User Group meetings. Lots of experts available (professional and home-users), with skills in a variety of areas. Lots of keen middle-of-the-road helpers or willing to learn people too. :)

I'm not an expert at all. Still got heaps to learn. However I can install Linux. :p
I would consider Chill an expert however. :D

Jen
14-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Just alerting those who showed an interest in attending the Installfest, pre-registration is now open on the website - AuckLUG Installfest 2005 (http://installfest.linux.net.nz/aucklug05/).

Pre-registering gives you priority over those who just turn up on the day :thumbs:

SurferJoe46
14-11-2005, 05:45 PM
OK..you said I could ask and get help..so here is the first ask....

On this site (http://www.kernel.org/) ...just what do I want to get the knoppix system? Where do I start here...this is very very confusing....do I need a Linux kernal first?

I've made a dozen matching coasters by now and I still don't have anything that works.

Jen
14-11-2005, 05:54 PM
OK..you said I could ask and get help..so here is the first ask....

On this site (http://www.kernel.org/) ...just what do I want to get the knoppix system? Where do I start here...this is very very confusing....do I need a Linux kernal first?

I've made a dozen matching coasters by now and I still don't have anything that works.
It is best you make a new thread about your problems Joe, as this is not related to this threads discussion about the upcoming Installfest.

For starters, the Linux Kernel is only where you go if you wish to replace/update the kernel that comes with the operating system. By itself it is not an operating system. For Knoppix, you can download the ISO from many places, but the homepage here (http://www.knoppix.org/) (click on the US flag for the english version) has links to where you can download the latest version. Pick a http or ftp server. You want the latest english CD version which should be called KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso. Once downloaded, you need to burn the ISO as an image or it will not be bootable.

dolby digital
15-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Jen,

How many people do you expect... I know it can be hard to predict. I'd love to come but 700kms is the problem in my case. I wanted to go to Matamata for a model flying event but that was too far :waughh:

KiwiTT_NZ
15-11-2005, 11:57 AM
I have a got a Thinkpad A31 - Pentium 4M, ATI 7500 Card w/WinXP loaded.

Does Linux support bluetooth ? I would like to link my laptop to my Telecom T3G Harrier.

I have the CDs for SUSE 10.

BTW: link to map from site not working for me.

SurferJoe46
15-11-2005, 03:31 PM
It is best you make a new thread about your problems Joe, as this is not related to this threads discussion about the upcoming Installfest.

For starters, the Linux Kernel is only where you go if you wish to replace/update the kernel that comes with the operating system. By itself it is not an operating system. For Knoppix, you can download the ISO from many places, but the homepage here (http://www.knoppix.org/) (click on the US flag for the english version) has links to where you can download the latest version. Pick a http or ftp server. You want the latest english CD version which should be called KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso. Once downloaded, you need to burn the ISO as an image or it will not be bootable.

Sorry Jen, I just saw the words "Linux Install-Fest" and figgered that that was what I was interested in, not being able to get to NZ this next few years. I have been having a "Linux Install-Fest" of my own and the fest is just very confusing. I have been making a lot of chrome frisbees for the past few days.

personthingy
15-11-2005, 03:38 PM
Does Linux support bluetooth ? .Yes Linux developers have heard of bluetooth, no garentees from me that it will work on your system, as always, i suggest downloading mepis/knoppix, running it as a live CD, ie: boot of the CD, and use it as the OS WITHOUT installing.. This usually picks up on all your hardware and capabilitys, and allows you to try the system without commiting HDD space to it.

personthingy
15-11-2005, 03:54 PM
I have been making a lot of chrome frisbees for the past few days.
http://www.mepis.org/node/1462

This is a list of the Mepis download mirrors and stuff.

ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/mepis/released/SimplyMEPIS-3.3.1-1.iso

is probably as good as any, download the file, burn it as an .iso or image so that it is bootable DO NOT BURN IT AS A FILE AS THAT WILL LEAD TO A CD THAT REQUIRES AN OPERATING SYSTEM TO READ THE FILES WITHIN, RATHER THAN A CD THAT WILL TELL YOUR SYSTEM WHAT TO DO.

I suggest booting of the resulting CD, trying Mepis as a live CD, and if you like it, hit the install icon on the desktop. Be very careful not to delete your existing system, abort the installation and get help if at all unsure.

OK, its a 700MB download, but all good fun! :D

KiwiTT_NZ
15-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks PT. Will give it a try.

Jen
15-11-2005, 05:28 PM
I have a got a Thinkpad A31 - Pentium 4M, ATI 7500 Card w/WinXP loaded.

Does Linux support bluetooth ? I would like to link my laptop to my Telecom T3G Harrier.

I have the CDs for SUSE 10.

BTW: link to map from site not working for me.Bluetooth should be fine - see here for comments (http://safari.informit.com/?xmlid=0672327260/ch04lev1sec5)

The link to the Installfest venue works fine for me. Here is a direct link (http://www.wises.co.nz/map/default.asp?id=59764|2&svctype=1&zoomin=true&move=true)

Don't forget to pre-register on the website if you are interested in attending. :)

Jen
15-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Jen,

How many people do you expect... I know it can be hard to predict. I'd love to come but 700kms is the problem in my case. I wanted to go to Matamata for a model flying event but that was too far :waughh:You're right, it is too hard to predict at this stage :D

It is being advertised widely, more so in the two weeks prior to the event and including now a banner on the T&E website and paper so that should help. :)

dolby digital
15-11-2005, 05:39 PM

I use rewritables now to reduce the garbage generation :)

KiwiTT_NZ
17-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Got SUSE 10 running on my A31 so will not need to go.. And you are right the linux devs know about bluetooth :D as a I saw the bluetooth daemons going past on the install.

It'll be fun experimenting again.

personthingy
17-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Got SUSE 10 running on my A31 so will not need to go.. And you are right the linux devs know about bluetooth :D as a I saw the bluetooth daemons going past on the install.

It'll be fun experimenting again.I would have thought that was a good reason to go! As someone using *nix, you could help those who aren't yet. Besides, teaching is the best way of learning, and there's always things to be learnt and shared :D

KiwiTT_NZ
17-11-2005, 11:17 AM
hmmm ... I give it some more thought.

ILikeLinux
20-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Just a Quick bump, and update on what is going to be on display.

- A Gentoo Box showing off Revolution Os.
- A Gentoo Box showing off gaming ( Under cedega, and native games).
- A Home desktop system.
- A Suse 10.0 system.
- An Ipod running Ipod Linux.
- A Mandrake laptop with a external dvd burner.
- A Blank system demonstrating setting up linux.

-- See you at the installfest !

Chilling_Silence
20-11-2005, 09:49 PM
Question:

What sorta things would you as the public like to see at the Installfest?
What things are you curious to know if linux can do or doesnt do?

Prescott
20-11-2005, 10:01 PM
if i was going i would look at game support, which is already at the install fest.

what about networking? windows -> linux? and what about linux wireless networking? whats it like?

usb hardware, do usb printers, scanners, digi cameras - does linux simple plug and play?

personthingy
20-11-2005, 11:12 PM
what about networking? windows -> linux? and what about linux wireless networking? whats it like?That ones been a breeze for years now!

usb hardware, do usb printers, scanners, digi cameras - does linux simple plug and play?generally works, unless it doesn't - not too dissimilar from the plug and prey situation your probably used to. I find about 70% of the toys i connect work.

ILikeLinux
21-11-2005, 06:37 PM
usb hardware, do usb printers, scanners, digi cameras - does linux simple plug and play?

This will be demonstrated on the home desktop system.

Jen
03-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Well the Installfest has been and gone, and was a roaring success. Plenty of people came just to look and ask questions, and others left with a shiny new Linux installation or some liveCD's to take home and play with. :)

A couple of quick pictures from the event for those who wonder what one looks like:

Cable city (http://imagef1.net.nz/files/fest1.jpg) - we set up a network which allowed access to the internet for installation files and drivers etc. Also made for a wee lan party between the networked demonstration systems.

Installations in progress (http://imagef1.net.nz/files/fest3.jpg) - the whole room was taken up with machines getting Linux installed plus a couple set up as demonstration systems.

personthingy
03-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Now all we need down here is something similar in reach of chch :groan:

beama
04-12-2005, 11:32 AM
personthingy
Watch this spaceCLUG (http://www.clug.org.nz/)
Did you go to the Software Freedom Day hosted by Chrsitchurch and celerbrated World Wide. Not a install fest but still great day.

personthingy
04-12-2005, 12:46 PM
personthingy
Watch this spaceCLUG (http://www.clug.org.nz/)
Did you go to the Software Freedom Day hosted by Chrsitchurch and celerbrated World Wide. Not a install fest but still great day.No, i didn't know about the software day in Chch, so i didn't go to it.

As for the CLUG site......
Look, i really don't want to seem overly negitive, but its not a web site, it's a wiki, had i not have got this link from you i dought if i would have looked hard enough to see things i wanted to know like upcoming meetings. Before i saw the useful stuff, i saw an invite to "play in the sand box".

It's not hard to see why the recent visitors for the year total 2, "-- NateCull 2005-05-04
-- JohnGriggs? 2005-08-05"

I attempted to sign in, i got an invalid password message, and i haven't yet found anywhere to sign up as a new user/member. "Personthingy" will therefore not leave his name in the visitors book, thus not increasing it by 50% for the year.....

I hope the site doesn't reflect the state of CLUG in general.

However, having now found the useful bit, "MeetingSchedule" i shall endevour to show my face and see what there is to learn and/or contribute.

beama
04-12-2005, 02:07 PM
personthingy
I mostly agree with your comments, Subscribe to the mailing list its very active.

If I remember correctly you dont need to be a Registered to add to the Wiki. There are instructions on there somewhere.

I must admit I only found this a couple of weeks ago but I have been on the mailing list. It was so busy at one stage that I had to filter the incoming messages into a seperate folder for later reading

personthingy
04-12-2005, 03:21 PM
i am now subscribed to the mailing list, i hope this proves a good idea :)

And beama, your right, it was possible to edit the visitors book thingy without logging in, so now there are 3 noted visitors in 2005 :p

homer
04-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Ill have an all operating system install fest in the carpark :o