PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a new Computer

Der Drachen
28-09-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm looking for a new computer & Palmerston North's InHouse Computers (http://www.inhouse.co.nz) looks like a good place.
They've been there for a long time & their reputation is pretty good (I think).
I don't really want a state of the art one that will be half the price in a year.

I'm thinking of the AMD Enthusiast System.
It'll be used for gaming & the internet.

I know a bit about computers but I'm by no means an expert,

My Questions
1. Is this a suitable computer for gaming?
2. Is there anything that screams out to be upgraded or added?
3. Can anyone suggest a better shop in Palmerston North (Reputation/Price)

Here's the stat's from the site

*AMD Athlon64 3500+ Processor
Latest Socket 939 CPU interface
PCI-Express Technology Is Here

*1GB DDR-SDRAM PC3200 Memory
Dual Channel Performance Configuration!

*ATi RADEON X600XT 128MB Graphics Card
PCI-Express Graphics!

*17” Philips Fast Response LCD Screen
*16 X DUAL LAYER DUAL FORMAT DVD Writer
*160GB SATA 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive
*Black 2.1 Speakers with Sub-Woofer
*Black/Silver Keyboard and Optical Mouse
*56K Internal Voice/Fax Modem

*Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
*DVD/CD Writing Software
*AntiVirus Software

Hopefully my post is coherant enough :waughh:

Thanks
- Daniel

Metla
28-09-2005, 02:43 PM
They are a pretty good company, I used to deal with them before I started my own bizzo and I never had any complaints.

As to the system, Looks alright though the video card isn't great and they dont specify the motherboard. I would ask what the specs of the LCD are rather then just having it listed as "fast response", 4 ms is what I would call fast....Same goes for the DVD drive, what brand/model is it?

Price is high.

Battleneter
28-09-2005, 02:44 PM
I won't comment of the company, no idea, and the price looks pretty good (definately within the ballpark).

The CPU/RAM/HDD space are all good, although some games like Battlefield 2 actually require OVER 1 gig to run truley smoothly, I would priced another 512MB of ram, depends on your budget.

My main concern is the Video card, ATi RADEON X600XT is a tad slow and is only between a 9600XT and a 9800pro in performance (last generation cards). I would DEFINATELY look at at least an upgrade to a Nvidia 6600GT video card or higher. With games like Fear and Quake 4 just around the corner the ATi RADEON X600XT won't handle 1024x768+ at reasonable frame rates which is desirable.

pctek
28-09-2005, 03:51 PM
*ATi RADEON X600XT 128MB Graphics Card
PCI-Express Graphics!

Go up to a 6600GT. Legend have some that are 256mb 256bit - most others are 128mb.

*17” Philips Fast Response LCD Screen
Specs??

*16 X DUAL LAYER DUAL FORMAT DVD Writer
what brand??

*160GB SATA 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive

What brand? Get Seagate.

*Black 2.1 Speakers with Sub-Woofer
*Black/Silver Keyboard and Optical Mouse

What brand??

Battleneter
28-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Commenting on Brands is always a bit tricky as it sounds like the Holden vs Ford argument. Put 5 tecky's in a room and chances are they will argue for ever over what is the best.

But yes go for 256MB GT6600 if you can find one, however I could never find a review on the Legend card and couldn't see Clock or ram speeds on there web site, so am a little suspicious it may not be a true GT model, which that type of issue has happend in the past with MSI etc.

Sapphire does one that has been reviewed, but no idea where to source it in NZ.

Metla
28-09-2005, 04:37 PM
I think with brands its just a case of making sure it is a "brand", Its a tough call between most of whats on the market but no one (in their right mind) wants to end up with a Cyberdrive or BTC or something with no branding at all.

I would also bump the HD up to a 200gb, the price difference is tiny.

As for the "gaming" cases, much of whats marketed in this area is tacky rubbish, Thats not to say thats what they have as I haven't seen their stock but there are some nasty units around.

Legend cards are (i believe) just a rebadge job, probally even a Sapphire if they have a 256mb model.....

Der Drachen
28-09-2005, 05:04 PM
but no one (in their right mind) wants to end up with a Cyberdrive or BTC or something with no branding at all.

The LCD Screen is 12ms,
DVD Drive is a BTC. So I'll probably get a different one, :xmouth:
Motherboard is an Asus (Pronounced Asis?),
HDD is a Seagate,
The Keyboard & Mouse is a generic Brand (I'll go with MS)
The Speakers are a generic Brand,

& I'll be upgrading to
6600GT, Legend possibly
& xtra 512mb ram
200GB HDD

So this is all good?

And Thank you all for the help, I really appreciate it!

Metla
28-09-2005, 05:13 PM
hmmm.....12ms isn't fantastic......and you really want to ensurre you get the 3 year pixel cover with it.

I would be looking for something like....

Philips 170B6CB 17" TFT LCD, 8ms, Black, DVI, Speaker, USB2, 3yrs Bright Pixels Free.

Der Drachen
28-09-2005, 05:25 PM
I'll get that monitor.

But if 12ms isn't that fantastic then 8ms would be kinda OK?

Metla
28-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Its hard to say, When I say 12ms isn't fantastic its not because its particlary poor but because their are higher spec models available.

And there is very little price difference.

Der Drachen
28-09-2005, 05:39 PM
oh ok, I don't know to much technical info about computers.

Thanks for the help

Metla
28-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Think of each pixel on an LCD as a light bulb that is always on but can change colour, The MS millisecond rating is how fast each pixel can change to the new colour, the faster the better when it comes to games.

The 3 year bright pixel cover comes into play when one of them pixels decides it cant change colour anymore and stays on the last colour it was displaying when it broke.

Rob99
28-09-2005, 05:59 PM
Did you also say your getting extra 512Mb of ram?? Going from 1Gb to 1˝Gb, probally just a waste of money, use the savings to get a kick-arse graphics card.

Der Drachen
28-09-2005, 05:59 PM
ah, I couldn't figure out what MS stood for.

Der Drachen
28-09-2005, 06:06 PM
some games like Battlefield 2 actually require OVER 1 gig to run truley smoothly, I would priced another 512MB of ram, depends on your budget.

was why i figured that. I suppose I could always put it in later, it's easy enough to stick in.
& Graphics cards I would have to buy a whole new one.

lol I feel like I'm in the deep end of the ocean, way outta my depth

Battleneter
28-09-2005, 07:30 PM
was why i figured that. I suppose I could always put it in later, it's easy enough to stick in.
& Graphics cards I would have to buy a whole new one.

lol I feel like I'm in the deep end of the ocean, way outta my depth

Yea very true with the ram.

As for the video card, its called an upgrade charge, they should remove the cost of the card that comes in the kit (system) and add the cost of the new card. I belive it should be about $200 ish upgrade to go to a 6600GT.

Well worth doing, that video card won't cut the mustard, youll kick yourself later.
Kinda like have a V8 with a 3 speed gear box.

Battleneter
28-09-2005, 07:33 PM
I think with brands its just a case of making sure it is a "brand", Its a tough call between most of whats on the market but no one (in their right mind) wants to end up with a Cyberdrive or BTC or something with no branding at all.

I would also bump the HD up to a 200gb, the price difference is tiny.

As for the "gaming" cases, much of whats marketed in this area is tacky rubbish, That's not to say that's what they have as I haven't seen their stock but there are some nasty units around.

Legend cards are (i believe) just a re badge job, probably even a Sapphire if they have a 256mb model.....

hehe cyberdrive and BTC, well I can't argue that, I was going to mention BTC as a no no. Cyberdrive optical devices last twice as long as BTC "4 days"

As for the video card, I would imagine they are just re-badged, but I don't like the lack of GPU and Ram speed details after recent optimistic labeling my other manufactures. Would be somewhat uncool ending up with a card closer to a standard 6600 non GT.

Der Drachen
30-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Just wanna say Thank's to everyone for the great advice.

They are ordering a coupla bits & I should get it in a week :D

again thank you all

Cheers
Daniel