PDA

View Full Version : Trouble booting windows xp...what a surprise!

Duncan82
28-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Ive been quite irritated over this for some time now, so I thought I'd let you guys have a go.

I have a problem with the "family" pc. Its a 1.4ghz xp prosessor and 256mb ram and a 20gig harddrive. Built in sound and graphics. It starts up great, goes through the mem test and then starts to boot xp. At the bootup screen nothing happens for like 10 seconds, a blue screen (which flashes for only .5 seconds) shows and then it restarts asking which option I would like to boot xp in. (safe mode etc.)

Ive tried the harddrive on another computer, and it works fine. boots to winxp and everything. But on my "family" pc it just resets itself.

Any ideas why? I thought it might be either the mem or the graphics card that might be bad, if it is I'll have to purchuse another mother board.

Any help would be greatly appreciated mates!!!

-duncan :mad:

Metla
28-09-2005, 12:11 PM
I don't follow why you would have to buy a new motherboard if the ram was faulty?

Anyhow, does it boot into safe mode?
Does it boot off a live cd?

Hit it with memtest 86.

Duncan82
28-09-2005, 12:17 PM
No no, I didnt say the ram WAS faulty, I said it COULD be faulty =)

I'll hit it with the memtest to check it out, but I've checked pretty much everything on a seperate pc. (hard drive, prosessor and ram.) They all worked fine.

So I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, or knew how to work around it.

It does not want to boot at all. No matter how I boot it, almost right away it would shut down and start up again. I just get to the "booting windows xp" screen and it shuts down...

Thanks for your reply mate!

-Duncan

Metla
28-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Ive seen the exact same behavour more times then I can count, It could be just about any item of hardware in the system, Though the fix is a matter of elimination and you seem to have done that already, The idea is to start at the most likely culprit, Power Supply, Ram, Motherboard. CPU's rarely die and when they do they generally just stop working.

Granted the first step in troubleshooting is to cleanup the software enviorment, which is a bit hard when you cant access it so hardware is what your looking at.

The good news is that socket A mobo's are cheap, though you will most probally have to buy some DDR to go along with it, and if your going that far might as well get a CPU as well.........And if your going that far you might as well get a 754 Sempron 2800 (dirt cheap) and motherboard to match.....

Anyway, Its logical that if you have tested everything else then it will be the motherboard at fault.