PDA

View Full Version : Port Forwarding

Naruto28
27-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Hi,
Has anybody used portforwarding?-eMule
Is it good?
Should I use it, because if it is not good and it messes everything up...
...its goin to be bad

Thnx. :D

Rob99
28-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Easy to setup and remove, give it a go, you need the local IP of the computer and the ports you need to open, then make your NAT rules on your router

Naruto28
28-09-2005, 05:33 AM
I hav tried port forward, but ive still got a low ID!? Plz tell me wat ive done wrong. :badpc:

Thnx :help:

snoopy
28-09-2005, 08:39 AM
Here's a site that maybe of some help

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Naruto28
28-09-2005, 08:48 AM
I've tried that. Thnx anyway.

The Guide there is too complicated.
I have to set up a static IP adress and then this and then that. And half of the time it doesnt work on my PC, as i might hav done somethin rong.?!

I think Ill just stick to low ID (dammit) as i'm a n00b..sob...sob :dogeye:

...but...if anyone can help me in an easier way, I would be very grateful. :o

Myth
28-09-2005, 09:06 AM
Hmmm...

What type/brand/model router are you try to implement port-forwarding on?

I know that PortForward.com isnt highly accurate, by that I mean when I went to set it up, the guide they were giving and my actual router were entirely different, even though I chose the correct model. I eventually got it by looking at the instructions for 3 models above and below mine and making an educated guess. One of the 6 guides was close enough.

Ferg
28-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Do you have the free Telecom supplied broadband modem: DSL - 302G.

I have tried seriously hard using all forums , google and port forwarding info and never got a high ID . Various forums suggest the modem is a dog and won't forward properly, I finally agreed and settled for a low ID.

To be fair, it hasn't affected things too much having a low ID, but it does hurt my pride to have to settle.

Naruto28
29-09-2005, 06:32 AM
I got Belkin Wireless Router 802.11g 54Mbps and the Model. F5D7230-4.
Its too hard to set evrything up, and if i set it wrongly I'll mess up my Internet connection and it'll be worse than b4. :annoyed:

I'll chek out port4ward again, den. the thing is, that i get really anxious and nervous when setting these things up coz i dont no wat im doin and my mum will scold me if anything wrong happens. :dogeye:

Naruto28
29-09-2005, 06:38 AM
oh, yeh, Its just the Static Address i cant set up, coz i dont no how 2. If i was able 2 just set up this, then i will be able to the rest. :D

It tells me to remeber something and i dont no wat to remeber? :mad:

i'll try again and try to work it out. thnx.

Naruto28
29-09-2005, 06:52 AM
Hi,

This is wat im stuck on:

'Step 4:
We are really only interested in two boxes on this page. We want to take a look at the IP Pool Starting Address and the IP Pool Ending Address boxes. These two boxes define a range of ip addresses that will be automatically assigned to the computers on your network. If we setup a static ip address, the router will not know that the static ip address is assigned to a computer. So it might try to assign that static ip address to another computer on the network. Two computers can not have the same ip address. It basically prevents both computers from connecting to the internet. So we will lower the number of automatically assigned ip addresses. Then we can setup a static ip address, which is outside of the automatically assigned range. Once we have lowered the range pick an ip address that is outside of that range, and remember it. We will be using it in the next guide, when we setup a static ip address on your computer.

Let's set the IP Pool Ending Address box to 249. That will give us five ip addresses outside of the automatically assigned range. That means that the ip address you set your computer to should be an ip address in the 192.168.2.250 to 192.168.2.254 range. Okay now go to our Configuring a Static IP Address page.'

The line i put in bold:

'So we will lower the number of automatically assigned ip addresses'

Lower to wat? wat no. do i lower it to?

And this part:

'Once we have lowered the range pick an ip address that is outside of that range, and remember it. We will be using it in the next guide, when we setup a static ip address on your computer. '

I dont get this part either.

Could anyone just tell me wat to put in these boxes? Plz. Once ive done this my nightmare will be over!

The page im stuck on is:

http://portforward.com/belkin/f5d7230-4-dhcp.htm

Thnx ;)

Myth
29-09-2005, 09:19 AM
If you have set up your computer/s to use static IPs, you don't need to worry about IP pools etc.

Where it says DHCP Server, you turn that 'off' if your computers use static IPs.

If you want network IPs that change every time the computer boots up, then you turn DHCP server 'on'. Then the IP Pool starting address (is usually) 1 IP above the router eg. if the router is 192.168.0.1 then the starting IP is 192.168.0.2. The IP Pool ending address can be any number between 2 and 254. If you only use 3 computers, make the IP Pool ending address 10 (for example) to allow for more computers being added to your network.
This way, when a computer boots and asks for an ip address, it will be assigned an unassigned IP between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.10.
But this only applies if you don't use static IPs

Chilling_Silence
29-09-2005, 10:13 AM
No, you also need a static WAN address.

If your ISP hasnt given you a static IP Address with that then you're screwed. Apparently there's 2-3 ISP's that'll give you one, but Xtra isnt one.

Those routers just simply must have a static IP to do port-forwarding

Chill.

Myth
29-09-2005, 10:36 AM
I assume he is talking about static IPs on his LAN, not from his ISP

Chilling_Silence
29-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Doesnt matter,

He must have a static IP from his ISP for Port-Forwarding to work with that router!

Naruto28
30-09-2005, 02:19 AM
Oops,

I am trying to access my Routers page on my Desktop PC.( When you type your IP address in the Address bar) but now i can't access anything. It says:

'Duplicate Administrator
This Device is managed by 192.168.2.3 Currently!!'

The 192.168.2.3 is my Laptops IP. I've accessed this Page with my laptop.
How do I change it bak so that my Desktop will be able to Access the Page. :dogeye:

Thnx :badpc:

Naruto28
30-09-2005, 02:23 AM
Don't worry.

I done it.

All I had to do was to logout on my laptop on that site. :D

But still I need help on Static IP address. It tells me to remeber an IP address. Do I just choose any address?

Thnx. :D

Naruto28
30-09-2005, 07:52 AM
YESS!! FINALLY!!!! :D

I have got a high ID on eMule! :thumbs:

Thnx 4 helping every one.

But i still got a low ID on Kad, But im fine with a High ID on eMule (eD2K).

I am so grateful. :D

Naruto28
30-09-2005, 09:12 AM
cool.

I've also got High ID on Kad as well. :D

Chilling_Silence
30-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Can we ask how? What did you change?

Naruto28
30-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Well ,

I created a Static IP and then followed the instructions (even though the instructions were for XP as mine is ME)

I type in 192.168.2.1( My wireless router) in the address bar.

I Changed the end pool to 249 ( on LAN settings, if i remeber correctly), this gives me 5 addresses outside the DHCP range. I then go to the Static Ip configuration section and follow the Instructions: Control Panel>Networking>(Choose internet connection) Properties. and then I follow the Guide (port 4ward) and go through it.in the Specific an IP address box, i typed in an address outside the DHCP range ( you have to remember this IP number). Restart my PC and then I continue...

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Belkin/F5D7230-4/eMule.htm

In the 'DO NOT SKIP' box I typed in one of the addresses out of the 5 addresses outside of the DHCP range (this has to be the same Address u done above). For example:

192.168.2.251 OR
192.168.2.252 etc.

AND then at the end it tells me to type in some numbers and words in the Virtual Servers part.

I done all this and I got a High ID on eMule.For me to get a High ID on Kad, I had to click the 'Kad' button at the top Then (Make sure your firewall is disabled) click the 'recheck Firewall' button. I hav to do this every time.

This is wat I went through to get a High ID :thumbs:

I hope this will help people who hav Low ID. ;)

Naruto28
30-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Under 'HELP' and under 'ID explained' it says, near the bottom:

'- If the ID is high, it does not matter how high it is. An "even higher" ID is not better or offers any advantages.'

So a high I is not better than a low ID?

Is this true? :confused:

Myth
30-09-2005, 11:53 PM
What the heck is a high or low ID? Explain please
someone
(spot the non e-mule user :p)

Chilling_Silence
01-10-2005, 11:18 AM
So from the sounds of it you've only told it not to assign a dynamic IP address internally for XYZ range so you know its not going to conflict with any static IPs.

Otherwise, I fail to see what Port-Forwarding you've actually done (Have I mis-read it?)

Chill.

Naruto28
02-10-2005, 10:08 AM
I don't know either.

I only followed wat they said on the portforward site and, cool, i got a static address and a High ID. Thats enough for me.
As long as I got a High ID, then... its cool. :thumbs:

:rolleyes:

Chilling_Silence
02-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Static IP on your LAN, or has your ISP assigned you a static IP?

Malcoholm
06-10-2005, 06:42 PM
After MONTHS of trying, I have almost managed to get the ports forwarding to the right places on my DSL-302G.

My apache server in my home network serves pages fine when acessed from outside the network.

My problem now, is that when I try to access my WAN IP or domain name from within my home network (which should be served by my apache server the same way as it would from outside the network) my modem picks up the request and tries to serve the modems web-based configuration page.

So in short, how do I change the port on which the modem serves its control panel to something other than 80? Or if that can't be done, how can I disable the modem config webpage from being served when I try to access my domain name or WAN IP from inside my network?

Thanks in advance.

Greven
06-10-2005, 08:48 PM
If your router is like mine, it will steal any internal traffic going through port 80 (unless you use the internal name/ip of the other computer) no matter what port you are using for the config page.

A high emule ID is better than a low one. I think it just has 2 ranges of unique IDs - one for the people who could have firewall trouble & one for the people that you should have no trouble downloading off.

Naruto28
07-10-2005, 04:48 AM
I got the Static IP on my LAN. :D

Sorry 4 not replying 4 so long :rolleyes:

johnnyline
04-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Can someone help me please.....

I just starting to use emule 0.47a. ( new to this )

Everytime i open or run emule.. I always get " a network cable unplugged" i have followed the port forwarding steps and still the same thing and also giving me lowid status.

I have Dlink 624 router and my pc is connected to that router.

any suggestion....??

Thanks

J

i-gordon
04-03-2006, 07:12 PM
I have been using EMule for about 4 years and I have it well sussed out. I cant stay long now but I will be available to help on monday. In the meantime check out the eMule help under Ports Firewalls & Router.
Ian

johnnyline
05-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Thank you for your reply I-Gordon.

will wait until Monday.

Cheers

J :)

i-gordon
06-03-2006, 06:24 PM
OK johnnyline Im back. Do you still need help with your eMule.

johnnyline
06-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Hi I-Gordon

I still need some help with my emule thanks.

My Pc is connected to D Link 624 router. i have emule version 0.47a .

The error message that i get " a network cable unplugged" :badpc: and lowid status.

Do you have any suggestion ?

Cheers

J

i-gordon
06-03-2006, 08:02 PM
Need more info.

a. How many computers connected to your router?
b. Are you using Windows XP.
c. Do you have a Firewall. What brand?
d. Do you know how to access your router Config Setup?
e. Have you had a good read of the eMule Help pages. This is your Bible, Everything I can tell you is allready there, refer to it all the time, I can only help you in stages, Come back to me when you get stuck.

If you have Windows XP. Right Click on the little computer icon in the system tray. Click on status>support>details and tell me what you see
Ian

johnnyline
06-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Hi I-Gordon,

i have just added you into msn ...could we chat over msn.
That would be a lot easier.

Cheers

J

notechyet
07-03-2006, 06:08 AM
Hi I-Gordon
I am terribly stuck with setting up port forwarding for emule.
Would you mind giving a hand?
[QUOTE=i-gordon]Need more info.

a. How many computers connected to your router? 2
b. Are you using Windows XP. yes
c. Do you have a Firewall. What brand? panda internet security 2006
d. Do you know how to access your router Config Setup? yes
e. Have you had a good read of the eMule Help pages. This is your Bible, Everything I can tell you is allready there, refer to it all the time, I can only help you in stages, Come back to me when you get stuck. yes

I have set up acces to internet and local lan ok.

Router Linksys wrt54g
telecom dsl 302g (could I do away with this one and setup linksys only?)

I have tried to setup port forwarding on the dsl302 g and I think that is where the knot is.
Some short time ago I used to be on dial up only and I used to get high ID's without a hitch!

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Gion

i-gordon
07-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Gion
Im not familiar with either of those routers, Its preferable to have a NAT router because its a hardware firewall as well. If they are both NAT routers go with the LinksysWRT54G. Right click on this link and open in a new window,follow the instructions.
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/eMule.htm

Just to make sure that your firewall is not the problem try connecting to eMule with the firewall turned off.

Here is the link for the telecom router
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DSL-302G/eMule.htm

Ian