PDA

View Full Version : InCD & XP Home?!?

Vince
27-09-2005, 05:58 PM
I got a multi format DVD burner that works fine. It came with Nero Express OEM which is fine, but it uses InCD and my computer hates InCD; keeps locking up. "InCD has a problem and needs to shut down", even during startup!

Can INCD work in XP Home, SP2?

How can this problem be solved?

Terry Porritt
27-09-2005, 06:06 PM
I solved the problem by uninstalling INCD a year or two back :rolleyes:

Graham L
27-09-2005, 06:25 PM
I got Nero with a CR-R/RW, and thought, "InCD ... great ... drag and drop to CDs". It locked up in W2k. I cut its throat. There is an upgrade downloadable, but that was no better. That might be worth a try in XP.

Speedy Gonzales
27-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Did u check the Nero site?? And download the latest version of InCD??

http://www.nero.com/eng/nero-up.php

And look here?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;891070

lark
27-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Why do you need InCD? XP writes perfectly well to CDs on its own.

Metla
27-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Take it out of startup, then uninstall it, then carry on as you were, there is no need to install InCD as part of the Nero package.

Vince
28-09-2005, 12:35 AM
Take it out of startup, then uninstall it, then carry on as you were, there is no need to install InCD as part of the Nero package.

Thanks, When instaling Nero it insisted on uninstalling UDF reader; I thought InCD was nessicary. :)

Mike_SA
28-09-2005, 01:09 AM

Nero GOOD, InCD Very Very BAD. The best thing you can do for your machine is loose the InCD, it conflicts with XP's built in direct access driver. I also think that it was the worst move Nero could have made.

Good Luck. :)

Mike_SA
28-09-2005, 01:12 AM
O and one more thing , Loose XP Home , Get XP Proffesional. Will make alot of things much easier

Rob99
28-09-2005, 01:18 AM
O and one more thing , Loose XP Home , Get XP Proffesional. Will make alot of things much easier??? What ???

<taking the piss>While your at it you may as well flash your BIOS, and get a 24" Dell LCD, wireless mouse....</taking the piss>

Metla
28-09-2005, 01:19 AM
O and one more thing , Loose XP Home , Get XP Proffesional. Will make alot of things much easier

Perhaps you could elaborate on that, seeing as Home and Pro are near identical with Pro having slightly more capable networking abilities.

Mike_SA
28-09-2005, 02:02 AM
Ok , well personal I have worked on quite a few XP Home machines and they usualy give issues, aswell as XP Pro being a bit more networking friendly it also alows you to do alot more as far as system settings and all are concerned, Pro also tends to be a bit more stable by comparison, might not be perpousfull, but I had more Issues when running home than I do now."Personal Observation". Home has been choped alot compared to Pro, and well for someone who is technicaly orientated... Home just don't cut it. Dont know if anyone else shares my views , but Pro is definately more open to adjustment.

Mike_SA
28-09-2005, 02:21 AM
Quote - "Windows XP Professional gives you all the benefits of Windows XP Home Edition, plus additional remote access, security, performance, manageability and multi-lingual features that make it the operating system of choice for businesses of all sizes and people who demand the most out of their computing experience."

Notice the part about Performance. Designed for more workload, it's bound to run atleast a bit better.

Metla
28-09-2005, 02:30 AM
Its called marketing, It runs no faster nor more stable, and outside of an office or professional enviorment is a waste of money, and even then most offices (small ones anyhow) make no use of its additional capabilities.

did they mention security?.............Lmao.

Oh,and welcome to the forum.

Agent_24
28-09-2005, 08:32 AM
I've run InCD 3.5 on two WinXP Home SP2 with no problems at all.
But then, for most people, InCD is a waste of time and you'll never use it anyway.

Though if you do have SP2, you must get Nero 6. any of the 5.x or lower versions are incompatible.

Thomas01
28-09-2005, 11:00 AM
I've had nothing but trouble with trying to use RW CDs between my desktop(XP prof) and laptop (XP home). So decided to try Terry Porritts advice and get rid of InCD from my desktop. So I did. But now I find I cannot find any way to format a CD. The help files are useless. If I go to My Computer I can select the drive OK but the format command is absolutely absent. I did rather surprisingly find that my laptop also shows InCD format - I thought I was only using Roxio on that computer.
How do I get my desktop to format a RWCD (I want to try the XP default method).
Tom

Metla
28-09-2005, 11:14 AM
right click the optical drove holding the CD,select format....Same as if you were formattiung a floppy....

Thomas01
28-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Thanks Metla. Good advice. But it don't work. When I do as you suggest there is no sign of the FORMAT command. I must have tried this method just about every way I can think of but no joy. Still stuck.
Tom

Speedy Gonzales
28-09-2005, 08:28 PM
Use Nero Express / data / data disc option.

And click on add, and add files to the cd/whatever.

This is if you want to put exe files to cd.

Just make sure allow files to be added later is ticked. So u can add to the cd later.

I used to use CD Creator 6 instead of InCD, but for some reason, it didnt like SP2, after I installed SP2.

So, I biffed it. And use Nero Express, if I want to burn data files to CD.

godfather
28-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Windows XP inbuilt burner application cannot format a CD-RW disc for UDF packet writing in the manner that InCD does.

Despite the above suggestion. If it's working for Metla, then he must have InCD or DirectCD or similar installed.

Packet writing to enable read-write of a CD-RW is about the most unreliable form of storage that I have ever encountered. A CD-RW disk is really designed to be Re Writable (completely erased and then rewritten as a clean disk) not Read Write as a floppy, probably why packet writing often fails in reliability.

Metla
28-09-2005, 08:32 PM
:xmouth:

Packet writing isn't something I use, The format command from the right-click just wipes the rewritable so its a clean slte, But then I very rarely use RW'able cd's either. So I may be way off...

Heck, I don't even know what UDF is.........Pretend I was never here.....

Thomas01
29-09-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm still in trouble. I even downloaded the latest Nero (took several hours) to discover that it was set up only to work as a demo. Fine but it told me my demo version had run out of time. I also downloaded the lates InCd. But now I am not sure if I should install it. The trouble is my original problem is still there I HAVE NO MEANS OF FORMATTING A CD
Tom

Chilling_Silence
29-09-2005, 10:51 AM
InCD used to format the CD automatically for you.

Try using the normal Nero to do a "Full" Format of the disc as a normal ISO9660 disc.

Then eject it and put it back in. InCD should ask you if you want to format it for InCD use.

Admittely Ive not read all 22 posts, so somebody may have suggested this :-/

Thomas01
29-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Full format using Nero. Sounds like another good idea but I've tried everything on Nero also and can find no trace of any format command. I suppose it should be there. I was pleased to see that my restore point worked fine and took me back to where I was a few days ago - but still no way of formating a RWCD. (Unless of course I use my laptop - which doesn't seem compatible with my desktop). I think I will take notice of those who reckon RWCds are pretty well useless
Tom

Chilling_Silence
29-09-2005, 11:14 AM
There is a format option, but I remember it not being in the most obvious place.... Its in one of the menus along the top of your window. I dont think its in "File", but in one of the others.

Im running Linux ATM and going totally by memory. Ive only got K3b sorry :p

Keep at it, im sure you can do it :)

Metla
29-09-2005, 11:37 AM
Pretty sure if your in Nero Express then there is a "More" near the bottem that hides the format command.

Jayess64
29-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Seems to be a lot of anti-InCD feeling around. Don't know why, I have been using it for years and find it very reliable and convenient. Win XP does write to CDs, but you have to "stack up" your files until you have enough to burn at one go. InCD uses packet writing, so you can just drag-and-drop like a a floppy or HD.

BUT - you need to disable the Win XP CD burning service to avoid conflict. That is probably the cause of most of the bad experiences reported here. I can't remember the actual procedure off the top of my head, but it's easy to find and simple to do.

Rob99
29-09-2005, 03:34 PM
XP does write to CDs, but you have to "stack up" your files until you have enough to burn at one go.Rubbish

Agent_24
29-09-2005, 04:25 PM
XP will let you write as little or as many files as you like whenever you like, I just don't like the way it copies everything you want to burn to a temporary folder first, which wastes time and harddrive space.

But I have never had to disable the XP CD Burning Service to use InCD or Nero, or Adaptec & DirectCD (like InCD) either.

Only time I had a problem was when I accidentally installed InCD on a computer without a CD Burner. BSOD Time :D

Jayess64
30-09-2005, 10:37 AM
XP will let you write as little or as many files as you like whenever you like, I just don't like the way it copies everything you want to burn to a temporary folder first, which wastes time and harddrive space.

But I have never had to disable the XP CD Burning Service to use InCD or Nero, or Adaptec & DirectCD (like InCD) either.

Only time I had a problem was when I accidentally installed InCD on a computer without a CD Burner. BSOD Time :D

Whoops! It's always dangerous making absolute pronouncements, so let me back-peddle a bit and qualify my earlier post. Running InCD (or DirectCD) with Win XP's CD burning on may work, but it can increase the risk of problems. This is typical with PCs; a situation that works in one configuration can fail in another.

Check pages 854-855 of Windows XP Inside Out (published by Microsoft):
"If you plan to use a third-party program..., go to the same location and disable recording from Windows Explorer"

In the CD troubleshooting box on p.855:
"Do you have other CD writing software installed? If the other software works, disable the Windows XP CD writing capabilities and use the third-party program instead."

I agree that the way XP handles CD burning seems more trouble than it is worth.

Metla
30-09-2005, 10:53 AM
How so?

I make data cd's with the XP inbuilt feature all the time, I recall no trouble at all....

Vince
30-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Thanks Metla. Good advice. But it don't work. When I do as you suggest there is no sign of the FORMAT command. I must have tried this method just about every way I can think of but no joy. Still stuck.
Tom

I've had the same problem recently. I am not sure is it is because I uninstalled Sonic record now or if I installed then removed InCD.

Vince
30-09-2005, 06:30 PM
Pretty sure if your in Nero Express then there is a "More" near the bottem that hides the format command.

Yes, there is. It dosn't offer any options though.

Vince
30-09-2005, 06:42 PM
I'm still in trouble. I even downloaded the latest Nero (took several hours) to discover that it was set up only to work as a demo. Fine but it told me my demo version had run out of time. I also downloaded the lates InCd. But now I am not sure if I should install it. The trouble is my original problem is still there I HAVE NO MEANS OF FORMATTING A CD
Tom
You could download 'CDBurnerXP Pro 3' which is 100%freeware and quite good, though it dosn't have packet writing capability, yet it does format. :)

Vince
30-09-2005, 06:58 PM
Check pages 854-855 of Windows XP Inside Out (published by Microsoft):
"If you plan to use a third-party program..., go to the same location and disable recording from Windows Explorer"

In the CD troubleshooting box on p.855:
"Do you have other CD writing software installed? If the other software works, disable the Windows XP CD writing capabilities and use the third-party program instead."

How do you do that? Win Help dosn't say.

Terry Porritt
30-09-2005, 09:30 PM
How do you do that? Win Help dosn't say.

In My Computer, right click on the burner drive icon and select Properties.

Click on the Recorder tab, and there are options for the Windows CD recording software.

There is a box you can uncheck "Enable CD recording on this drive".

When that box is cleared then XP wont try to write to a CD, or possibly interfere with Nero etc.

FoxyMX
30-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Yes, there is. It dosn't offer any options though.
What version of Nero Express are you using?

In version 6.6.0.3 the dialogue box looks like this (http://imagef1.x10hosting.com/files/nero-format.jpg) when you click on the "More>>" arrow. You can then use the "Erase Disc" bottom middle button to format your CD.

Vince
01-10-2005, 12:05 AM
In My Computer, right click on the burner drive icon and select Properties.

Click on the Recorder tab, and there are options for the Windows CD recording software.

There is a box you can uncheck "Enable CD recording on this drive".

When that box is cleared then XP wont try to write to a CD, or possibly interfere with Nero etc.

I guess it is already off, there is no 'RECORDER' tab. Or is there another reason the tab isn't there? :confused:

Sapperbro
03-10-2005, 11:50 PM
Came into this a little late as I only get into the site infrequenlty nowadays.
I have been using InCD for some time to save Client files to CDRW. I need to replace specific files as they happen so don't see the need to waste quantities of CD-R disks every time I back up. Both my CD-RW (I use two computers) came with the specific Nero OEM drivers for each drive and could not be swapped over, although both used InCD as a RW copy package. After installing the PC World SP2, my solution was to go out and buy a Generic copy of Nero 6 ($NZ30.00) from Advantage Computers. Uninstalled both my OEM copies of Nero and use the one programme for both computers. Worked!! Now go to "My computer", right click on your CDRW drive icon and select "Properties". One of the tags there is "InCD". It contains the "Format" button. Go to the "Recording" tab and untick the "Enable CD recording on this drive."
Bob's your Uncle and Fanny's your Aunt - as us oldies used to say.
Cheers
Ken

Metla
04-10-2005, 03:58 PM
rightyho.

Found my one and only RW'able, inserted her and right clicked the drive...

http://imagef1.x10hosting.com/files/rghclick.jpg

No idea what data-add format disc is for but I could guess, Can't say I have seen it before, Wonder what put it there....

The Erase is lited as per normal....

Metla
04-10-2005, 04:00 PM
hmmm.....Must have been that windows update

http://imagef1.x10hosting.com/files/rainer.jpg