PDA

View Full Version : Norton "Outbreak Alert" Issue

Citizen_of_Saturn
27-09-2005, 08:52 AM
Each time I start my computer, I always receive an "Outbreak Alert" message from Norton Internet Security declaring that my computer is not protected against one or more rapidly spreading threats. Conveniently, the message has a button right below it that reads "Protect Me". Naturally, I click it, but the same message closes only to reappear yet again. As a result, I open Norton Internet Security, which reads "Outbreak Alert: OK", and beneath that, it reads in the "Protected" tab that I am "protected against these rapidly spreading threats", which are "W32.Esbot.A" and "W32.Zotob.E". In the "Unprotected" tab, on the other hand, it states that my computer is "not protected against these rapidly spreading threats" and it doesn't list anything. I must be protected now, right? Maybe not, because sure enough, the next time I start my computer I receive the same "Outbreak Alert" message and the past merely repeats itself. This has been going on for some time now and I'm quite weary of it. :groan: Today the message changed a tad to only "You are not protected". Perhaps someone can answer this question for me: What's going on?

Myth
27-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Have you updated your antivirus definitions lately?
Have you scanned your computer lately?

Citizen_of_Saturn
27-09-2005, 09:24 AM
Have you updated your antivirus definitions lately?Yes.

Have you scanned your computer lately?Yes. No viruses or spyware.

pctek
27-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Replace Nortons with another anti-virus program. Its a dog.

Speedy Gonzales
27-09-2005, 11:14 AM

He didnt ask for an opinion, on what to use.

He may prefer NIS over anything else, since by the looks of it, there arent too many programs, that give u a firewall and an AV in the same program.

Besides Zonealarm. I prefer to use NIS myself.

Battleneter
27-09-2005, 11:22 AM

I like you.

Yep Nortons is a complete Pig, as I say, the only people that use it are those who haven't tried much else.

Give me half the viruses out there on my machine, they won't slow it down as much as Nortons AV does.

Nortons AV is the virus!

Oh and as for security center, It lasted about 10 minutes on my machine a few weeks ago after I tried the latest version, I just couldn't take it. Its like removing half your ram and turning off your CPU caching.

julian7
27-09-2005, 03:07 PM
what i heard in 1998 was a disgrudled employer left Nortons and embeded a virus in Nortons, what u think of macafee?

Edward
27-09-2005, 03:10 PM
what i heard in 1998 was a disgrudled employer left Nortons and embeded a virus in Nortons, what u think of macafee?

Rubbish. That's about as likely as McDonalds purposely giving out Food Poisining and Ford purposely making cars that crash :rolleyes:

Citizen_of_Saturn
30-09-2005, 11:27 AM
So, I take it that none of you have a solution for my problem either? (Except if you label "download a new anti-virus program" a solution.) :rolleyes:

Battleneter
30-09-2005, 11:40 AM

Yea, I don't believe that one either. No need anyway, as it slows down PC's more than virus. Putting a virus in it will probably just impove the performance of Nortons :o

Pacifier
30-09-2005, 11:43 AM
ok,

Make sure intrusion detection is on in the firewall settings and that auto protect is set to on for anti virus.
If that doesn't work run an online scan at MacAfee's website. It'll take ages but it will get things nortons misses or has missed hence the problem you are having.

Mcafee online scan (http://au.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp)

Let us know how you get on
Pacifier

Citizen_of_Saturn
30-09-2005, 03:22 PM
ok,

Make sure intrusion detection is on in the firewall settings and that auto protect is set to on for anti virus.Success! Thanks a lot.

Murray P
30-09-2005, 04:18 PM
You confirmed that the your PC is uninfected. Give it a scan with a reliable AV anyway.

Unfortunately, neither Nortons or McAfee are such, which is why you probably received such a vehement response in respect to removing Nortons as your solution.