PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer will not work

sdeering312
27-09-2005, 08:21 AM
My friends lap top will no longer run internet explorer. I would like to point out that her computer is filled with adware and spy-ware. She ran an Ad-aware scan yesterday and since then when she tries to start it just goes to the little window that says it has to shut the program down and all info will be lost and the "End now" button is there. Her INstant messenger does work though so it has to be internet explorer. any tips on how to remedy the issue would be much appreciated!

-steve

pctek
27-09-2005, 08:57 AM
Run several anti-spyware programs - see the FAQ here for details.
And may as well take the opportunity to install Mozilla instead. :-)

Myth
27-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Download, install and update a programme called Spybot Search and Destroy. Reboot the computer into safe mode and run Spybot. Reboot to normal mode.
If your friend wants to keep IE, you may also have to download another Browser (Firefox is good) and come to this site (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.mspx) to get the latest IE and updates.
I would however recommend an alternative browser (Firefox or maybe Opera). Note: MS updates site will only work with IE, so if your friend goes there often you will still need to fix IE

Robby
27-09-2005, 10:06 AM
gidday,

you could perhaps use system restore, and take it back to a day when IE was working, then run spyware spoftware to clean the rubbish out, spyware doctor is a pretty good one.

good luck,

robby