PDA

View Full Version : Need help with PC!

zahmad
26-09-2005, 09:49 PM
How can I empty up disk space and make my PC run faster and more efficiently. I have a Intel Celeron Processor with 1.20Ghz, 120MB Ram, 20 GB hard drive running Windows XP SP 2, with software like Office 2000, Norton Antivirus Professional 2004 etc. I only have 12.7GB of free hard disk space, but computer is very slow. Please help!
Thanks.

Zak

Speedy Gonzales
26-09-2005, 10:00 PM
Get this http://www.ccleaner.com its free, and will clean the temp files etc off your hdd.

And defrag the hard drive in safe mode, and some more ram may help. Or get a better processor.

12.7 GB isnt that bad, if you've only got a 20gb.

snoopy
26-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Increasing your RAM to 256 or 512 will help speed things up. :thumbs:

Battleneter
26-09-2005, 10:18 PM
How can I empty up disk space and make my PC run faster and more efficiently. I have a Intel Celeron Processor with 1.20Ghz, 120MB Ram, 20 GB hard drive running Windows XP SP 2, with software like Office 2000, Norton Antivirus Professional 2004 etc. I only have 12.7GB of free hard disk space, but computer is very slow. Please help!
Thanks.

Zak

Loose Nortons anti virus and get a virus scaner that does not criple the speed of your PC. Get rid of it for a day, you will see what I mean.

zqwerty
26-09-2005, 10:32 PM
Also go here for services that you can disable to improve your computers performance:

http://is-it-true.org/nt/utips/utips76.shtml

zahmad
27-09-2005, 10:01 AM
Thanks guys, but would you recommend upgrading my computer?

drcspy
27-09-2005, 11:29 AM
the amount of disk space is irrelevant here to your issue......you dont have the fastest cpu on the block and mroe importntly you need more ram ........120 isn't really enough to expect any but minimal performance from xp specially running a ram hog prog like norton also........

Battleneter
27-09-2005, 12:33 PM
the amount of disk space is irrelevant here to your issue......you dont have the fastest cpu on the block and mroe importntly you need more ram ........120 isn't really enough to expect any but minimal performance from xp specially running a ram hog prog like norton also........

I agree, you definately need a LOT more ram. With 128? (no such thing as 120, I susepct you have shared video), Windows XP must be running like a REAL dog, add Nortons sloowmo AV in and how long does it take to boot, 3 minutes?.

Get at least another 512MB of ram, its fairly cheap at the moment, you should pay under $100 you could go for another 256 only but mah... Be sure to check memory configuration before you buy.

Ram will make all the difference when you have that little. A P4 3.8 gig will run nearly as bad as your system on 128mb of ram, its all about system balance.

Myth
27-09-2005, 07:27 PM
As already mentioned, get rid of Nortons, and download something like AVG or another free anti-virus If you have problems deleting Nortons (sometimes it does leave crap on your system) download either symnrt or there is a removal tool for earlier versions (its name escapes me right now). Remove Nortons using Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs then once its finished run the removal tools. You will then be prompted to reboot.

As far as an upgrade, definately 256 MB RAM (no less, more if you want or can afford).

Mike_SA
28-09-2005, 02:13 AM
Loose Nortons, try out a diffirent anti-virus. Norton is the most resource hungry, maybe try out ez-armour. http://www.ca.com/ check it out here.

zahmad
29-09-2005, 08:57 PM
Thanks guys, I;m getting rid of Norton as it expires in 16 days. Would Trebd Micro's PC Cillin be a good option, and when does the new antivirus software for 2006 come out?

zahmad
30-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Anyone?

drcspy
30-09-2005, 11:08 AM
why waste money on buyign an antivirus program theres plenty of excellent free ones out there that do as good a job as any of the ones you pay for......avg/avast are just two......

Renmoo
30-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Thanks guys, I;m getting rid of Norton as it expires in 16 days. Would Trebd Micro's PC Cillin be a good option, and when does the new antivirus software for 2006 come out?
I would say, for the moment, best focus on upgrading your hardwares. Don't bother the commercial ones, get the freebies AV.

Cheers :)

Metla
30-09-2005, 11:20 AM
why waste money on buyign an antivirus program theres plenty of excellent free ones out there that do as good a job as any of the ones you pay for......avg/avast are just two......

I disagree with that 100 percent, I have recently been running Nod32 over systems that I have complety cleaned to the best of AVG and AVast abilities, and every time numerous and nasty infections have been detected and removed.

Having said that, the same thing happens when I run AVG over a machine that Nortons claims is clean.

Anyhow, my opinion as of today is that AVG, AVAST, Spybot, Adawere, none of them cut the musterd and if the PC hasn't been cleaned using a Heavy Hitter then it most likeley is still infested.

drcspy
30-09-2005, 11:33 AM
well I cant say I'd disagree with that either ......seen avg/avast pick up on stuff that norton (the latest and greatest up-to-date version) missed. However I'd also agree with your reccomendation of Nod32 it's really very very good. i've often installed only the trial version to remove nasties that other stuff just wont touch ....if you want a paid a/v then nod32 is the way to go without a doubt however considering the costs of norton,mcafee,trendmicro etc i would NEVER reccomend them, but then I dont sell em and the only times i've seen 'techs' reccomend norton etc is when they are selling them ! lol.