PDA

View Full Version : necessity of linux boot partition

heni72847
26-09-2005, 05:05 PM
is it possible to move the contents in my boot partition into my other partitions
and just reconfig grub to boot from that?

right now i've reached the limit of four primary partitions
so..kinda need to make room for a new partition i'm going to make

i'm running gentoo
and i followed the gentoo guild book to install my system
and was told to make that boot partition

so..is there some benefits of having this boot partition?
or can i get rid of it??

Graham L
26-09-2005, 06:24 PM
I rather thought this might happen. ;)

The boot partition is just a nice way to have the boot stuff kept separate. It's not necessary, but you might easily finish with a non bootable system unless you configure things correctly.

My approach would be to delete the swap partition, then allocate that space as an extended partition. That would let you make a new swap partition in that, and give you somewhere to put the space you cleared from the Windows partition. (Oops. For this to work you will need to be able to merge that space with the present swap partition ...)

(BTW, it would have been a good idea to add this to your previous thread, rather than making a new one).

heni72847
26-09-2005, 11:06 PM
would that change the hdd numbering on hda3?
i just thought that not touching the rest of the partitions would be a good idea..since i'm not familiar with linux stuff
need to get use to some other partition tools other than partition magic first i think to try to shuffle these around

if i was going to del boot partition
what things should i watch out for so i don't make my system non-bootable

..and..yes..i was going to put this to my other post
just that i thought a new title would make this question more specific..
here's the link to the previous post that's related to this question
http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=61986

vinref
27-09-2005, 01:33 AM
Something is not right here....

Can you post a printout of df -h?

heni72847
27-09-2005, 08:57 AM
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda3 6.6G 5.6G 1010M 85% /
/dev/hda2 31M 2.7M 27M 10% /boot
none 185M 0 185M 0% /dev/shm

vinref
27-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Not quite enough info. What about less /etc/fstab?

Graham L
27-09-2005, 06:30 PM
That's the 512MB swap partition appearing as 185MB?

It looks as if it was indeed partitioned as 4 primaries ... unlike the more usual practice (in old established distributions) of making the boot one a primary, then giving the rest allowed for Linux to an extended one. This avoids this problem. Perhaps Gentoo is trying too hard to be different.

From a Windows XP command line, will "fdisk /status" work?

vinref
27-09-2005, 06:45 PM
It looks as if it was indeed partitioned as 4 primaries ... unlike the more usual practice (in old established distributions) of making the boot one a primary, then giving the rest allowed for Linux to an extended one. This avoids this problem. Perhaps Gentoo is trying too hard to be different.

Yeah, that's what I thought was wrong. There should have only been two primary partitions devoted to Linux - the /boot and everything else not boot.

Maybe you could try merging hda4 (swap) with the hda3 (/reiserfs) partition. You would probably need to create a swap file in hda3 first, in case Gentoo busts a gut.

Best bet is to backup /home, /etc, /usr and distfiles. Even better, rebuild the kernel and the world (or whatever Gentoo calls it) and back that up too. Then re-install and copy over /home/, /etc, /usr and install the kernel and world. Make sure you partition the disk correctly this time.

Graham L
27-09-2005, 06:48 PM
It doesn't appear to be using the swap space. I once totally removed a SCSI disk which was my swap disk, and had no problems. ;)

heni72847
27-09-2005, 11:04 PM
aww..i'm getting a bit lost..
um..so getting rid of boot partition isn't a good idea and i should move other partitions around
maybe i didn't follow the gentoo handbook properly so ended up with all these primary partitions..

was hopeing removing boot partition would be okay..
that just looked most easily done to me that's all