PDA

View Full Version : xp help and support wont open

johnnytrident
26-09-2005, 03:22 PM
Hi all
hope someone can help.

I have XP Professional with. SP 2
When I click on start and then click help and support nothing happens. Nothing opens at all.

I can however access system restore through:- start, run, and then type restore.

I don't know how long it hasn't worked. Ideas anyone?

Regards

JP

Jen
26-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Hi and Welcome to PressF1 :)

For starters, try going Start > Run and enter in helpctr -regserver and see what happens. Also have a look at the other suggestions found here (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs2.htm) under the "Why doesn't Help and Support work?" section.

Let us know how you get on.

johnnytrident
27-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Hi Jen and thankyou for the welcome.

Problem solved and so easy. Start Run and typed helpctr - regserver

It opened and whats more now opens as it should through the start, and help and support menus.

It works, Im impressed and you're a genius. So what did I run to fix it?

Thank you.

Regards
John P (johnnytrident)

Jen
27-09-2005, 06:45 PM
Glad it was easy to sort out. :)

Basically, what that command did was to re-register the files associated with the Help Centre. Some of the registry entries associated with the Help Centre must of become corrupt/broken at some stage and therefore prevented the program from opening.

Battleneter
27-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Hi all
hope someone can help.

I have XP Professional with. SP 2
When I click on start and then click help and support nothing happens. Nothing opens at all.

I can however access system restore through:- start, run, and then type restore.

I don't know how long it hasn't worked. Ideas anyone?

Regards

JP

To be honest the Windows XP built in support is nearly completely useless. Type your question into Google, you will get far more productive answers.