PDA

View Full Version : OS X Problems Like M$?

SurferJoe46
26-09-2005, 03:02 PM
Just found this link (http://msn.com.com/2100-1009_22-5879187.html?part=msn&subj=ns_2543&tag=mymsn). Is there trouble in OS-X Land?

[Quote] "Apple Computer released 10 security fixes to address Mac OS X flaws that security experts described as "critical.""

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I thought this stuff was bulletproof.

Jen
26-09-2005, 03:50 PM
No operating system is bullet proof. The differences are in how easy it is to trigger the flaw.

I regularly get security update notifications for Fedora (Linux OS). Just goes to show that there is always room for improvements. As soon as the bugs are found, it is patched and an update released for the end users.

SurferJoe46
26-09-2005, 04:44 PM
No operating system is bullet proof. The differences are in how easy it is to trigger the flaw.

I regularly get security update notifications for Fedora (Linux OS). Just goes to show that there is always room for improvements. As soon as the bugs are found, it is patched and an update released for the end users.

Sad, isn't it? Too many strange-o's out there just making a mess outta something good. Never changes.....damn!

pctek
26-09-2005, 05:47 PM
Or you could just never put your trust in anything - and use assorted mthods of scurity. And then check them. And then still be dubious.

Edward
26-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Or the best way to keep secure: Turn the computer off and go outside. :p & ;)

johnd
26-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Sure no OS is perfect - but some are better than others as far as security goes. What non-MS OS:
1. Creates new users as administrator equivalents with no passwords
2. Gives instructions on an official site to solve slow printing problems by making all local users members of the administrator's group?

Chilling_Silence
27-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Linspire is dumb enough to do #1

Must say that #2 is unique to Windows :-P

vinref
27-09-2005, 12:54 AM
Just found this link (http://msn.com.com/2100-1009_22-5879187.html?part=msn&subj=ns_2543&tag=mymsn). Is there trouble in OS-X Land?

Not with security. Have a look at the descriptions of the actual flaws.

[Quote] "Apple Computer released 10 security fixes to address Mac OS X flaws that security experts described as "critical.""

Have a look at various security sites for the criteria for ranking vulnerabilities and flaws. Have a look at Apple's site itself. It aint all that it seems.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I thought this stuff was bulletproof.

I doubt it, but I also doubt whether any of those flaws will ever be exploited - too much work for too little gain. It makes infinitely more sense to attack Windows.

Chilling_Silence
27-09-2005, 01:09 AM
I doubt it, but I also doubt whether any of those flaws will ever be exploited - too much work for too little gain. It makes infinitely more sense to attack Windows.
Totally agree there.

Its not how many flaws, but how severe they are, what they involve, how they're exploitable, what privelages you gain by exploiting it.

I'd love to see a virus to be written to exploit any of those security holes :)

SurferJoe46
27-09-2005, 05:02 PM
OK.......I concede the point if you agree that the total number of OS-X is used by fewer persons, and (by your admission) affects fewer persons than Windows,

...........therefore it is less of a problem because fewer sysops are on that system?

Am I making sense here or did I miss the whole point again? :lol:

Jen
27-09-2005, 06:50 PM
...........therefore it is less of a problem because fewer sysops are on that system?

Am I making sense here or did I miss the whole point again? :lol:Yes, you have. :p

I suggest if you are that interested in the Mac OS then read up on the way the system operates with file permissions, file system structure and how executables can/cannot be run etc. Some great books in the libraries on that OS aimed at beginners. :)

johnd
27-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Am I making sense here or did I miss the whole point again? :lol:

It is incorrect to say that MS Windows is more likely to be infected by viruses, spyware and security issues simply because there are more PCs out there with it installed. Linux (like OSX) is based on the more secure design of UNIX. About 70% of the web pages delivered from the internet come from Apache server running on Linux. Wouldn't it be more fun for those writing viruses to target these high profile servers and wreck havoc there? They have had years to do it and it hasn't happened. The major reason - better OS security.

SurferJoe46
28-09-2005, 03:31 AM
It is incorrect to say that MS Windows is more likely to be infected by viruses, spyware and security issues simply because there are more PCs out there with it installed. Linux (like OSX) is based on the more secure design of UNIX. About 70% of the web pages delivered from the internet come from Apache server running on Linux. Wouldn't it be more fun for those writing viruses to target these high profile servers and wreck havoc there? They have had years to do it and it hasn't happened. The major reason - better OS security.

Now, THAT makes sense..TY JOHND

Refreshing to get a reason why, not just knee-jerks defending a system....there HAS to be reasons, and I think you stated it very well.

Chilling_Silence
29-09-2005, 11:18 AM
You'll see in Vista that MS have reviewed majorly the OS security side.

Reviews/screenshots online show you being setup as a "user" by default and not as an Administrator. This is a very good step in the right direction, but possibly too little too late?

Software developers may not be used to writing applications that cant write to each and every corner of the system. It will be interesting :)