PDA

View Full Version : My PC is having a problem running .exe files after uninstalling some software! Help?

djbenn909
26-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Hi,
I just registered today to try and fix a computer problem im having running .exe files or basically anything and i dont think its a virus or spyware cause i had protection on my pc before the problem happened (spyware doctor, spybot, microsoft antispyware, spywareblaster, and avast antivrus).

I was running pc accelerator 2005 and game accelerator 5.1. I decided to uninstall them because at first i had only game accelerator installed and it worked fine then installed pc accelerator only to find when i ran it my system locked so i decided to uninstall both proggies.

So i uninstalled tunexp, pc accelerator 2005, game accelerator 5.1 and xp-antispy all in one go with no rebooting. After i rebooted i i noticed that my AOL Dialer didnt pop up with my system as it usually does so i tried to run autoruns.exe to find out what was going on only to find out that when i tried to run it i received a dialog box asking me to choose the program to open that file which had never happed before.

So that is the problem anytime i try to run anything with a xexe extension i get the same dialog box everytime. I found i could get AOL going after i clicked on firefox.exe and choose aol to open it from.

So can anybody help me repair this problem getting .exe file to run properly?
I dont have the xp disc cause it didnt come with my pc hp m1070n media center pc only a d:recovery drive and i dont want to do the recovery drive cause then i will loose all my info i currently have on my pc and i cant run system restore because i get the same dialog box popping up (please choose program to open file with).

So anyhelp?

Thanks

djbenn909
26-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Also i must add when i try to open add/remove programs from the control panel i get a c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe - application not found!

FoxyMX
26-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Try a System Restore back to just before you made all the changes.

Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.

If that works then uninstall one thing at a time, rebooting between each after ascertaining that your system is working.

djbenn909
26-09-2005, 12:48 PM

djbenn909
26-09-2005, 12:49 PM
i tried to run sys restore but like i stated in my first thread, when i try to run or click on the sys restore icon in the accesories i get the same Choose the programe you want to use to open this file: rstrui.exe(which is the sys restore .exe) so i wish i could run sys restore but i cant unless somebody can tell me what program i can open the file from...right now im currently trying to run the trend micro online virus scan and adware scan since i cant access any of my defense programs.

Renmoo
26-09-2005, 12:59 PM
i tried to run sys restore but like i stated in my first thread, when i try to run or click on the sys restore icon in the accesories i get the same Choose the programe you want to use to open this file: rstrui.exe(which is the sys restore .exe) so i wish i could run sys restore but i cant unless somebody can tell me what program i can open the file from...right now im currently trying to run the trend micro online virus scan and adware scan since i cant access any of my defense programs.
Have you try accessing System Restore via safe mode environment?

Cheers :)

djbenn909
26-09-2005, 01:09 PM
no i have not but the only way i know how to get to safe mode on my pc is to go to start-run-msconfig and when i do i get choose the program that you want to use to open msconfig.exe! i heard you can unplug your keyboard or something like that but i tried it and it doesnt work for me

djbenn909
26-09-2005, 02:07 PM
thanks for coming through guys...i read up on how to boot xp into safemode so i shut down my pc waited 30 seconds rebooted pressing f8 repeatedly and choose the safemode option the went to sys restore....beware im on a 56k connection cause thats all they have out here and i play WOW imagine having to restart and dl all those patches again...Thanks all!

Renmoo
26-09-2005, 06:28 PM
So... does that mean that all problems have been solved? :rolleyes: Congratulations, by the way. :thumbs:

Cheers :)

djbenn909
27-09-2005, 04:15 PM
yes all probs have been solved for now...thank you...still dont know the awnser to the original prob theough...but it sucked!

thank you