PDA

View Full Version : 2nd hard drive not detected......is it toast?

tbird650pete
26-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Fitted up seagate 13gig HDD... set jumper as slave. The bios has autodetect and recognized it. It also appears at startup. Windows does not detect it. ..... not in "my computer" or disk management. My original drive is a 43gig. W2k sp4. Any points to look for or try?........b4 I toss it out the window. cheers.

FoxyMX
26-09-2005, 10:38 AM
It won't show up in Windows until it has been formatted. I am not that familiar with Win2K but in WinXP it would show as unallocated space which needs to be partitioned then formatted. Have another look in Disk Management.

Also, have you ensured that your primary hard drive has the jumpers set to master with slave?

Chilling_Silence
26-09-2005, 10:47 AM
You've said it shows up fine in the BIOS, so thats good, its working & its Windows at fault!

Right-click on My Computer and go to Manage
Click on Disk Management
if its there, you may need to right-click on it and choose "Initialize" before you can format the sucker :)

Chill.

tbird650pete
26-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Hi, Disk management shows my original HDD in its' 2 partitions of C and D. Also shown is the dvd and cd drives. No unallocated drive is present.
I have tried a number of different options with the jumpers.....some give error and or bios can't detect drives.
Where to from here?

pctek
26-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Don't mess with the connections - if the BIOS saw it - it was correct.
You could always format it from DOS - use a boot disk to fdisk it.

tbird650pete
26-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Booted up with my 4disk set (takes forever!)..... chose repair option.....got to dos prompt. That shows things slightly different than what windows does.
C drive ....as normal, my 1st partition.
D drive is the new HDD
E drive is my 2nd partition of my existing HDD
F is dvd
G is CDrom

It's as tho there's a clash of drive letters....both the new drive and my existing partition want to be D:
Disk manager show C and D as hard drive/disk, E is DVD and F is CDrom.

Any ideas, team?

In any case, how would I run fdisk from dos prompt?

tbird650pete
26-09-2005, 07:53 PM
The plot thickens with this HDD
With some research, I find that some computers aren't setup to take numerous drives, some need bios update and some have issues with drive letter allocation.
More parts of the puzzle are.....there's no OS on the drive nor any files(clean).
Any ideas coming to mind?

tbird650pete
26-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Ok....success of sorts. It works on IDE2!! I removed the dvd and cd to do this. So at least I know the drive is ok. I've put about 8hours into this so far! But I will still plan to get it back on IDE1.
......So, what does it tell us?

Kame
27-09-2005, 02:44 AM
Make sure you're forcing the Primary drive to Master.

If possible autodetect the drive in the BIOS and use the User setup instead of autodetect for each boot, quicker this way if anything else. Use LBA if possible.

A drive should still be detected even if it's not formatted or partitioned because it would be a device that is on the IDE, it would also be assigned a letter which it would aim for D: but if that's taken it'd go for the next available, however a problem could exists in it getting a letter.

I'd check those first before adding more onto this, as next might involve letter shifting, or checking to make sure we've allowed a large range of letters to be used since some people like disabling the use of letters thinking they won't have a need for it.

Cheers,

KK