PDA

View Full Version : Defraggers

allblack
26-09-2005, 09:06 AM
Morning all. I've done a Search but question still remains.

Windows Defragmenter v Norton (Pro version-can't remember year)Speed disk?

What are the differences?

Is one better than the other and why?

Is there any value in running both??

Many thanks
Tim

Speedy Gonzales
26-09-2005, 09:13 AM
Anything that doesnt stop and start while in windows (not safe mode), is better than Windows disk defragmenter.

tweak'e
26-09-2005, 10:52 AM
i certainly like nortons speeddisk far more than any windows defrag. even if it just for the ability to move the swap file. tho it depends on which ver of windows, the XP one is far far better than 98 or ME one.

Battleneter
26-09-2005, 11:59 AM
i certainly like nortons speeddisk far more than any windows defrag. even if it just for the ability to move the swap file. tho it depends on which ver of windows, the XP one is far far better than 98 or ME one.

I agree Nortons speedisk is much better than Windows Defrag. I hate hate hate (did I mention hate) Nortons Antivirus and security center, but there disk tools work wonders.

A few months back I could not get my XP server to defrag past 38% fragmentation, Windows would fish with "all ok" but didnt really do the job. So I dug out my old Utils CD and Used Nortons speed disk which did it first time. Disk Doctor is great also.

Davoid
26-09-2005, 01:57 PM
I use a product called "PerfectDisk 7" from www.Raxco.com and have found it very good.
I originally found the program doing a web search for Defragmenter reviews, and it always poled very highly.

SurferJoe46
26-09-2005, 05:01 PM
.........beginning to wonder if this little thing called "tiny url" (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0fc1154-c975-4814-9649-cce41af06eb7&DisplayLang=en) would help the defrag process a little. It removes all duplicated and renamed or updated and obsolete files from the hard drives.

...needs XP w/SP-2 and WGA to get it though.

It might make a defrag a lot easier if there's less to slog thru while rearranging the furniture. :confused:

allblack
26-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Thanks guys for your replies.

Battleneter - you say speeddisk is much better. How do you define this?

If XP says defrag is complete, and it's certainly looks OK, how do you know if something else could do a better job?

Who's to say Windows hasn't done a tip-top job itself?

Cheers
Tim

Ninjabear
26-09-2005, 05:43 PM
I used diskeeper.First recommended by pc world so then decided to try it.It works way better than norton speed disk which I have used for about 5 years.
You see a noticeable difference with diskkeeper