PDA

View Full Version : Altec Lansing speakers

gradebdan
25-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Hi.. I've given up trying to find out the wattage of my old "Nicole sd969" speakers and for an upgrade have decided on Al... Lan... MX5021 from PC Wise.

Does anyone have any experience with these ,what do you think?
They are 2.1, 20W RMS each sat. and 50W Sub, not that I expect to use anywhere near the full power.

somebody
25-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Altec Lansing are a very reputable brand. While I haven't personally used them before, I have heard good things about their speakers and headphones.

personthingy
26-09-2005, 10:04 AM
Altec Lansing
They cut their teeth on serious sound reinforcment gear. I still have some of their metal high frequency horns in some of my toys, allthough they have P-Audio drivers behind them these days.
They once were one of the brands must likely to be found behind your cinama screen.

There was a family connection between Altec and J. B. Lansing, perhaps better known as JBL.

However, there came a point where much of Altecs manufacturing got farmed out, the quality dropped, the prices rose, and Altec went out of fashion somewhat quickly. I can't say i take too much notice of them now, but it seems the name pops up only in the context of " i remember" and domestic audio systems.

I'm not quite sure about the reputation they have in domestic audio circles, but in mine the have a reputation as a distant stepping stone on the way to quality.

Metla
26-09-2005, 11:03 AM
Their main line of bizzo over the last twenty years has been making sound systems for most of the theme parks that cover America, Sports stadiums, and theatres.

May have gone out of vouge here in NZ but they have been doing the big biccies in the US.

They have only been producing home audio products for the last couple of years but the gear is pretty good for computers, Cream's creative junk, and IMO logitech as well.

That said, They have had a few sets hit the market that are considered nothing special but the set being asked about here have good reviews.

Personally I consider Altec Lansing the brand to get (when it comes to pc's), My set is teh wicked1111....

pctek
26-09-2005, 12:09 PM
I find them good too. For PC speakers. But I have gone off PC speakers of any diescription. The only way to have truely excellent sound is to use real stereo (or should that be HT now?) speakers.

Metla
26-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Depends on budget...I think my $300 set of speakers does better then a $300 stereo, and my $99 set of 2.1's just kill,stomp and rape a $99 stereo...

If your talking real money then you are indeed looking at a real stereo.....But it would be foolish to compare products that have a vast difference in price.