PDA

View Full Version : Quicken Cashbook 2004 Question

Tony
21-09-2005, 01:33 PM
I have been a long-time user of Quicken - currently on Quicken for Business 7.5.

I'm contemplating a change to Quicken Cashbook 2004, mainly because of improved GST handling.

I've been told by the local Intuit support that you can't convert QFB 7.5 files to Cashbook, as "GST is coded differently and it will give you problems". The local website also says there is no data conversion. I find this incredible, as it means that if you change to Cashbook, you lose all your historical information and have to start a brand new data file!

I downloaded the trial version and tried to open up a QFB 7.5 file, and it went through a conversion process and all appears to be fine!

My suspicion is that Intuit would much rather sell you Quickbooks for a much higher price - but that is much more than I need for my personal finances and my small consultancy business.

Does anyone know what is going on here? Has anyone successfully made such a switch?

TIA.

Renmoo
22-09-2005, 05:40 AM
*bump*

ecorob
20-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Quicken support is geared towards selling the never ending cycle of new products. I run cashbook 2004 and for all its idiosynchrasies, it is a very complete package. Still havent got a good reason to upgrade even though I have tried 2007 home and business. Also, cashbook wont work on Vista - to which I have a workaround, :)

Tony
20-02-2008, 10:08 PM
I never proceeded with Quicken Cashbook. I'm using Quicken Home and Business 2007, which does everything I need.

BTW ecorob, your PressF1 email address bounces.

Tony

ecorob
21-02-2008, 08:37 AM
THanks Tony, will check my email settings. do you know if you can include differential deprecation of assets eg. computers, furniture etc. in the 2007 version? And have you switched from 2004 to 2007 with no glitches?

Tony
21-02-2008, 09:39 AM
After a 30-second research, it looks like depreciation isn't tracked at all. It hasn't been an issue for me, so I've never really investigated. I certainly wouldn't base any firm decisions on this post. :)