PDA

View Full Version : Windows Update will not run

pmutton
21-09-2005, 12:17 PM
I have a Compaq Proliant ML310 Server running W2000 Small Business Server, ISA Server and Symantec Antivirus Enterprise Ver 8

I cannot run windows update via a browser, just locks up the browser before anything is displayed and I have to use Task Manager to end the app.

Also if I try to stop the Automatic Updates service this does not work. have tried to setup the Automatic Updates to auto in control panel but this locks up also.

Have installed SP4 but if I download and try to install any secruity patches they lock up as well.

Please help

berryb
21-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Is this a fresh install? Have you tried disabling Symantec? Do you get any errors on screen or in the event log?

Murray P
21-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Ist the new Windows Update installed?

You might want to install the win2k Security/Bugfix Rollup pack June 05.

pmutton
21-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Server was installed in 2002. I have just taken over admin of server and noticed that it was on SP3. so went to run LUD and it did not work so downloaded and installed SP4 and then went to run LUD but still no joy. No error messages in event viewer and went i run Live Up Date i just get a blank IE screen. Disabled firewall and antivirus but still no joy.

berryb
21-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Not sure about SBS but could the update policy be disabled?

pmutton
21-10-2005, 01:32 PM
Have fixed this problem, turns out the powerchute software had expired. uninstalled powerchute and all OK now.