PDA

View Full Version : D-Link DSL-504G XTRA firmware

colonel
21-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Hi there everyone. :o

I recently joined up with Xtra broadband and got one of those free connection deals, and received a discounted modem - the D-Link DSL 504G router. It's the second one on this page:
http://www.telecom.co.nz/chm/0,5123,202933-203657,00.html#wired :rolleyes:

It came shipped with Xtra's own's firmware. I upgraded it to the most recent one from the dlink.co.nz website. When I called Xtra to check on a problem I had, they basically told me they cannot support the modem after their own firmware was altered. :mad: :eek:

Has anybody come across this problem with this particular modem? And would anyone have a copy of the original Xtra firmware, or know where I can download it from? I called Dlink directly, and they couldn't find anything. They are still looking though. And when I call Xtra, they just refer me back to Dlink.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks people! :o

Murray P
21-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Why did you update the firmware, was it security related? If so, I'd have a piece of Xtra or ask when they where going to update their version.

What is the 'Problem" you are having with the updated modem? Maybe I'm blind, but I can't see it anywhere in your post.

colonel
21-09-2005, 02:52 PM
I have always updated firmware for any hardware I have used, especially if it relates to bug and security fixes. The Dlink did have a few updates that I though were important enough to update the firmware.
It has never served me wrong. In this instance because it involves Telecom (who else!), it has caused a bit of grief.
I don't have a 'problem' as such, but would like to get a copy of the original Xtra shipped firmware that the modem was shipped with.

Prescott
21-09-2005, 03:28 PM
why? if it works then dont worry about it.

Murray P
21-09-2005, 06:57 PM
have a tootle around amongst the firmware in here. (ftp://files.dlink.com.au/Product%20Info/DSL-504G/Firmware/) I tried to have a look around Telecoms' site, but the sod won't load, anyone else having trouble or does it not like my Saturn/Telstra cable connection.

As a rule, I don't flash anything unless it absolutely requires it, eg; problems and/or security with no manual work around.

You'd think the Xtra help desk could at least point you to their firmware. BTW, have you tried resetting the router factory default, I'm not sure if there original BIOS is shadowed, but could be worth a try (there is a command line configuration option, which may give more options/control).

Sb0h
21-09-2005, 08:05 PM
I did the same thing a while ago and ended up with a non functioning modem, luckily I managed to get it replaced.

Does the router still work?

Erayd
21-09-2005, 08:29 PM
There is a small problem with flashing xtra-supplied modems. I didn't see it in the contract anywhere at all (so is it actually legal to say it voids the warranty?), but I was told that upgrading firmware voids the warranty on the modem, and they also don't support other firmware versions. They don't provide the xtra firmware for download at all, as I wanted to make sure I had the old one available before I flashed mine - DLink don't have the firmware available for D/L, and neither do xtra.

colonel
22-09-2005, 11:10 AM
Hey thanks everyone for the posts, really appreciate your help.
Perhaps I should have been more careful before flashing it. Like I said before, I have always flashed hardware pretty much straight away, because the latest one would have big and security fixes.
This is the first time I have come across a problem like this. And luck would have it, it involves Telecom (who else?). Years ago, I used to have a Nokia M1122 in the Jetstart days. I had flashed it upon buying it, and a few months later had problems with the power supply. Dick Smith took it straight back, fixed it, and returned it back with no cost to me at all. Common sense would have it that this is how the service should be.
The Dlink modem works with no problems at all. It's been up and running with no problems. It probably works a bit better having the most recent firmware. I found the Xtra one was a little slower.
I just wanted to have the Xtra firmware on hand. Thanks Murray P. I will take a look at the FTP site at home, can't do it from work.