PDA

View Full Version : can i make windows 95 games work on XP??

helpmepleaseo_0
20-09-2005, 03:22 PM
is there anyway to make games intended for windows 95/98 work on XP?

godfather
20-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Possibly

If it will not install, then put a shortcut to the install file on the desktop and right click it - properties - compatability - select Windows 95.

If it installs, then do the same to the .exe file that runs the game, set compatability to Windows 95

Otherwise, no.

Kame
20-09-2005, 06:58 PM
Old games aren't as simple to install on XP, some of the unknown protection schemes some of the games came out with showed.

How I go about installing old games, insert the disc in your "First CDROM device, If C is hard drive and D is CDROM then that's the first." (very important due to some protection schemes), run the setup, if it complains about the OS, I go inside the CDROM drive, set the compatibility for whatever it's suited for setup.exe, then I run that. If it doesn't work here, then we can't go any further.

If installation goes well, how about checking if there's updates for the game and installing those. Similar method to installation (possibly).

Then all you're left with is creating a shortcut, testing it without compatibility first, then with compatibility if it didn't succeed.

The first CDROM device is important, especially if the game requires the CD, since some games didn't realise people would have more than one CDROM device.

Cheers,

KK

Agent_24
20-09-2005, 09:07 PM
there are lots of games 'intended' to work on 95/98, as there wasn't anything else at the time. most of them work fine on XP

are there any game/s in particular you can't get working?

also, setting the exe to Windows 9x compatibility mode doesn't always work. I was trying to install N.O.L.F on XP, but I had to set compatibilty to windows 2000 to get it to install. after that, no problems with actually running it.

helpmepleaseo_0
22-09-2005, 07:53 PM
thanks for all your help some games are working fine now,
yes i have been trying to get red alert 2 to work but i have set the compatibility to every OS but no luck. i guess there is nothing more i can do i will just have to live with it
thanks again for all the help

bob_doe_nz
22-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Red Alert 2 should work fine with windows XP. Make sure you use a user with administrator levels