PDA

View Full Version : System Restore eating up hard drive space

iguana
20-09-2005, 06:50 AM
I am having a problem on a Windows XP machine. On a 30 gig HD I was almost out of space. I uninstalled everything I could afford and wasn't gaining anything. Every time I re-boot the machine I would lose more space. I was down to 6% of my HD left. I installed a program called VoptXP which is a defrag program. This program told me that I had 22 gig used by system restore. My SR was set to 3% and was only supposed to hold about 800 meg total. I turned off SR and instantly I was back to 82% free space on the HD. I turned SR back on, still set at 3%. Now, and still, every time I re-boot the machine SR takes more space. I lose 2% of my HD EVERY time I re-boot. What would make SR not stop at the alloted space that I set for it? It just keeps going and going.
Thanks for any ideas you might have.

iguana

Greg
20-09-2005, 08:44 AM
Suggest you double check your SR percentage, turn off SR, reboot, turn SR back on, reboot, then tell us again how much it takes.

Caution - this usually deletes all old restore points.

iguana
20-09-2005, 08:33 PM
As I posted, that's exactly what I did. I turned off SR and got 82% of my HD back. I turned SR back on and after each and every re-boot I lose 2% of my HD. After a couple hours on the phone with Microsoft Tech Support today they came to the conclusion that I need to re-format the HD. They had me tweaking things in the registry to no avail. Looks like it's a problem they don't know how to fix.

Scouse
21-09-2005, 12:13 AM
Hi iguana. Bit of light reading here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300044) about system restore and its use of your resources.

iguana
21-09-2005, 04:42 AM
That was interesting information. However, that doesn't apply to my problem.
Since SR is constantly taking more of my HD I wonder if it would even stop itself like the article says it would when it is working properly and space gets critically low. Anyway, it's re-format time so the problem should then be gone. Thanks for the tries.