PDA

View Full Version : How to move programs from C to F ?

Vince
20-09-2005, 03:19 AM
What is the best way to move C:\Program Files to F:\Program Files without having to uninstall then reinstall all of the programs?

I have two HDs and want to partition C which had everything on it when I got the computer. There are a lot of programs to move. :)

drcspy
20-09-2005, 07:18 AM
THERES an app called COA for 'change of address' but I seriously doubt it'd be able to handle moving all the program files from c: to f:......Ive used it with 'smaller' progs to change their place of 'residence' and it worked but tried it with msword one tiem and no go.........what you are trying to do is pretty well impossible because ti's not just moving progs but modifying the registry and changin commands withing dlls' etc to reflect the move........extraordinarily difficult......how/why do you want to move the progs you state it's because you are 'partitioning c: ' but i'm not quite sure what you are trying to achieve here I mean, i've partitioned c:/d; you name it before today, (partition magic) and not had to relocate programs or whatever........tell us what you re tryin to do and maybe we'll come up with some other helpful suggestions......moving all your progs is gonna be pretty well impossible

Greg
20-09-2005, 08:38 AM
What you're trying to do can be fraught with problems.

I'm pretty sure Partition Magic can do it, but it's not a free app.

What I'm guessing is you've got a lot of programmes that you don't have the installation disks etc for? If this is the case I really suggest you bite the bullet, and give them up, download them from the Net, and those that aren't free but you'd like to keep, look out for free versions of same, eg Office apps have a few really good free alternatives.

Kame
20-09-2005, 07:17 PM
This is quite easy, I may have posted how to do this here (I'm not sure sorry, nor am I on windows to explain).

How I came about doing this though, I usually seperate my Program Files from my System, so I have a System partition and a Programs Partition and whenever it came to installing programs it would default to C:\Program Files which annoyed me, so I tracked it down in the registry, changed it to the drive I required. Copied all the Program Files over to my other drive for it, renamed Program Files in C: as a test to see if anything failed, and everything was successful that I removed C:\Program Files and the annoyance of having C:\Program Files as the default, the name is like ProgramFolder or something like this. As well as CommonFolder... etc will need changing

Hopefully you're good with the registry editor (regedit) and know how to go about this, it's quite easy, wish their was a replace method though, as I must have changed around 50+ instances of it.

Basically just do a search for exact string C:\Program Files\ and rename all instances of this to the drive you want.

As for dll files, those either exist within a global PATH or the root of the program files, and are not required to be registered in certain locations, although, if they were, anything of it in the registry would reflect the changes made. I also think shortcuts were automatically changed to reflect this too since they too reside in the registry, so just alter the registry and copy it over and that should be it, nothing else needs doing.

Cheers,

KK

Vince
20-09-2005, 11:46 PM
THERES an app called COA for 'change of address' but I seriously doubt it'd be able to handle moving all the program files from c: to f:......Ive used it with 'smaller' progs to change their place of 'residence' and it worked but tried it with msword one tiem and no go.........what you are trying to do is pretty well impossible because ti's not just moving progs but modifying the registry and changin commands withing dlls' etc to reflect the move........extraordinarily difficult......how/why do you want to move the progs you state it's because you are 'partitioning c: ' but i'm not quite sure what you are trying to achieve here I mean, i've partitioned c:/d; you name it before today, (partition magic) and not had to relocate programs or whatever........tell us what you re tryin to do and maybe we'll come up with some other helpful suggestions......moving all your progs is gonna be pretty well impossible

I want to spread the load between my HDs, and hopefully speed things a bit. Have System on one, along with things that are best with System and Programs etc. on the other. I have moved a lot of programs (I have discs, or downloaded instalation .exe files for them all) to the other disc when upgrading and by the process of uninstalling/reinstalling but there is quite a bit still to do. I was just hoping there might be a shortcut.

By the way, do you happen to remember where you got COA? :)