PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Card not detected in 98SE

bartsdadhomer
20-09-2005, 02:17 AM
Got a wireless network at home and decided to add the lads 98SE & ME machines to it.
Bought 2x PCI DSE WLAN Cards and neither ME or 98SE will pick them up, after installation of the drivers nothing. Upon rebooting nothing is detected at all.
My 3 XP machines find them no problem.
Nothing wrong with the PCI slots in both machines as they both pick up standard network cards and modems etc.
Manual says the cards are 98se & above compatible
Even if they weren't they would still be installed as an unknown device.

Never come across a PCI device not being detected before, got me stumped
Can any one shed any light?
Ta.

Rob99
20-09-2005, 03:06 AM
I've heard around, especially with wireless NIC's, if you install the drivers first it makes the process a bit smoother. Never tried myself, but it's worth a crack.

bartsdadhomer
20-09-2005, 06:51 AM
Yep I did that, I installed the drivers, shut the machines down, installed the cards and rebooted and nothing was detected.
The systems aren't recognising a new device, nothing, zip, nowt.
Nothing under device manager at all and the realtek driver/manager which I'd previously can't find either card, yet XP picks them up no sweat

drcspy
20-09-2005, 07:21 AM
chedk device manager in safe mode for funny stuff that maynot be showing in normal mode........

drcspy
20-09-2005, 07:22 AM
and just to be sure............try some other bit of hardware to see if it gets recognised ?

bartsdadhomer
20-09-2005, 09:33 AM
chedk device manager in safe mode for funny stuff that maynot be showing in normal mode........
Already done that, absolutely nothing.
Both are clean installs.

bartsdadhomer
20-09-2005, 09:35 AM
and just to be sure............try some other bit of hardware to see if it gets recognised ?

As in original post....it's so weird

Nothing wrong with the PCI slots in both machines as they both pick up standard network cards and modems etc.

bartsdadhomer
20-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Must be the motherboards in both machines
I got peed off and installed XP PRO on one of them and it still doesn't detect
Although it installs fine in another XP machine
Both boards are older 440BX chipsets so I'm assuming it's a board problem
Although why both machines detect modems and other NIC's in all PCI slots and not the wireless card is beyond me.

It's just another PCI card after all, and the boards should recognise it's there even if it doesn't know what to do with it.
Tried looking for BIOS updates but both boards have the latest available

Pees me off as I wanted to get rid of the masses of cables round here
The boys might end up with new machines I think!

Rob99
20-09-2005, 01:36 PM
You could ask Bart and Millhouse to save their pennies to go for a couple of access points :D

Metla
20-09-2005, 02:28 PM
I vote that you build em a couple of new machines...

.........Im sure they would agree........

bartsdadhomer
20-09-2005, 03:10 PM
I vote that you build em a couple of new machines...

.........Im sure they would agree........

Got one together already!

Was supposed to be for a customer but guess what?
"The motherboard sent was the wrong one and it'll be another couple of days, what a bugger!"

badhomer...badhomer....badhomer...badhomer....badh omer...badhomer.....
spank me marge, spank me!