PDA

View Full Version : Curious: Why remove the "Edition" during XP Boot after XPSP2?

Chilling_Silence
20-09-2005, 01:03 AM
Greetings all

This has bugged me for a while:
Why did MS remove the "Edition" version from being displayed when WinXP (Home or Pro) is booting after having SP2 installed.

I origionally noticed it after the 2nd Beta Release.

Im just curious why they would do that?!

Any ideas? This has been buggin me for a long time, ive just never bothered to ask

Cheers

Chill.

Metla
20-09-2005, 01:06 AM
to stop people posting in the wrong forum? :D :D :D

stu161204
20-09-2005, 12:38 PM
hehe @ Metla

Agent_24
20-09-2005, 06:38 PM
It bugged me enough that I modified the exe with resource hacker.. and added a few extras :D

Renmoo
20-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Get a bootskin, Chill, so that you don't have the same problem bugging you again and again everytime you boot up the computer.

Cheers :)

Kame
20-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Optimisation, they needed to reclaim faster loading time and that string was dynamically created during boot every time, well that was what I was told but it could be related to numerous flaws.

I remember at one point my boot.ini/boot menu said something like Windows Media Centre Edition or something like this, confused me at the time, but I just ignored what it said and booted into Red Hat (was using NTLoader as the dual boot method at the time).

It'd be interesting to know real reasons, but it's just one of those things that I felt wasn't worth asking in the forums :P as I noticed it when I first installed XP, but at least we know we spend a long time at that boot screen to see all that :P.

Cheers,

KK

stu161204
21-09-2005, 12:31 AM
It bugged me enough that I modified the exe with resource hacker.. and added a few extras :D

:) :D