PDA

View Full Version : Removing Norton's

Bodes
19-09-2005, 08:25 PM
Purchased a new computer 3 months back which was installed with 90 day free trial of Nortons. Have had the ccApp problem (I have done some research on this thinking it was a virus but itís a compulsory part of Nortons and uses up lots of memory Ė or slows the machine down), and rather than renew the Norton, thought I would go with AVG (have it on another older computer and seems to work well).

I am not a computer person, and are a little worried about removing Norton from my system (donít want any problems). I know how to do this through the normal manner.

My questions:
(1) Should I download AVG before removing Nortons
(2) Has anyone experienced any problems with what I am proposing to do?

Bodes

drcspy
19-09-2005, 08:34 PM
My questions:

if you by 'download' mean INSTALL then you can if you wish it wont make any difference in my experience you can actually run both avg and norton on the same pc with no ill effects............however......i'd personally remove norton at the earliest opportunity anywy.....go check their website they have an excellent removal tool which makes a better job than the usual 'uninstall' process......the only other suggestion I have is.....if its not just norton av but norton internet security then make sure you either enable the windoze firewall or install zonealarm/kerio or some other firewall BEFORE you go back online or else you'll be heading for problems FAST......

Myth
19-09-2005, 08:35 PM
Believe it or not.. Nortons isn't as cracked up as everyone thinks.
Removing it is a good thing.
In answer to your questions... download AVG before you uninstall Nortons.
You can install it and update it while Nortons is still installed. Then, uninstall Nortons.
To remove Nortons, uninstall it by first using Add/Remove programmes (Control Panel). After it has uninstalled, download and run an application called SymNRT (ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SymNRT.exe) (short for Nortons Removal Tool). This should get rid of any problem files of Nortons that are left behind. The instructions for using the tool can be found here. (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?Open&src=&docid=2001092114452606&nsf=nav.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=)

mark c
19-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Happy with those replies bodes?

Ain't it strange that one of the most helpful things a poster at a forum can do is give you good tips for getting rid of Nortons?

Hullo Peter Norton.

Bodes
19-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Thanks one and all

Norton's has been a pain in the neck so I will dump it.

Appreciate the help

Bodes

bazzaanddee
24-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Purchased a new computer 3 months back which was installed with 90 day free trial of Nortons. Have had the ccApp problem (I have done some research on this thinking it was a virus but itís a compulsory part of Nortons and uses up lots of memory Ė or slows the machine down), and rather than renew the Norton, thought I would go with AVG (have it on another older computer and seems to work well).

I am not a computer person, and are a little worried about removing Norton from my system (donít want any problems). I know how to do this through the normal manner.

My questions:

Bodes
If you want to completely remove all ove norton from your computer download Windows Install Cleanup and when you load it up highlight all of norton and symantec in there and hit delete and that will clear everything out of your computer