PDA

View Full Version : What hardware would it be ?

Tank
19-09-2005, 03:41 PM
I am having problems trying to work out why doesn't my hardrive does not show up in BIOS at the start.
But only yesterday for what ever reason it actually showed my hardrive and i was able to load windows ok, but when i went to restart it again, same old trouble, no hardrive showing up at the start again.
I have put perfectly good hardrives in and still no sign of it at startup, i have changed the powerbox, still nothing, i took the mobo out and took it to tech shop, he started it up and you wouldn't believe it but the darn hardrive showed up in BIOS.
I only took the mother/b down to the shop, no memory he used his, so can a faulty memory stick cause this type of problem ?
Other than that i am bewilded, i have tried everthing except a change of memory.
There are two lots of little white coloured small switches, sitting in 2 blue rectangular boxes, one lot has 4 switches and the other has 6 little white switches on the mobo, can the wrong setting of those, cause this type of problem ?
any help is greatfully recieved.
Tank

Speedy Gonzales
19-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Are you sure, you've connected the blue end of the ide cable to the mobo end??

If you're using 80 wire ide cables.

And not back to front (the blue end on the hdd end instead)?

If the IDE cable/s is/are around the wrong way, the hdd wont get detected in the BIOS, or Windows.

If you haven't touched those switches on the mobo, they maybe set at the default setting.

So the switches, shouldn't be the prob. Some BIOS'es have settings to override the switches on the mobo anyway.

Tank
19-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Thanks speedie,
The cables are set right, only a couple of days ago, the hardrive did show up in BIOS, so i loaded windows, went right through and i thought i had it , but when i went to start it again, guess what no hardrive again, this is driving me crazy.

In regards to those switches, as far as i know i haven't moved them but may have accidently knocked them, i don't know really.
So it sounds like not to be the memory either, what could it possibly be ?

Speedy Gonzales
19-09-2005, 04:12 PM
You did configure them in the BIOS didn't you?

So, they're on AUTO on IDE Primary and Secondary.

Did you jumper the hdd's to Master and Slave? Not on cable select.

The IDE cables or the power connection going to the hdd/s maybe a bit bung. Are we talking about IDE or SATA hdd's?

Tank
19-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Yep, set them both on auto at both ends, the jumper setting is correct, everything is the way it should be, strange enough, that time when it showed up in BIOS and i loaded windows i did put another lead on and then it showed up in BIOS, but still leaving that same lead on, when i tried to start it again it showed no hardrive again.
So the memory could not do such weird behaviour ?

Speedy Gonzales
19-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Can't say I've heard of ram making hdd's disappear.

It'd crash the system more than anything else.

I would also make sure the cables / power connections are in properly on the IDE connection end on the mobo and hdd.

It may not be making contact properly or something??

Tank
19-09-2005, 04:52 PM
I have changed power supplies, and even tried all available connections with each power supply, still the same deal, i will try another grey cable in and see if that makes any differance again, if this does not work its going to land about 40 feet from my back door.
thanks speedie for trying to help, much appreciated.
Tank