PDA

View Full Version : ISP Connection problems

allblack
19-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Morning all.

I'm continuing to have huge problems connecting to, and staying connected to, Paradise.

I'm not sure if it's something they can fix, or the problem is my modem (internal) and/or PC?

The modem is screeching (yes, I've tried to silence it through Control Panel), it makes 'ticking' noises inside the box when it is connected and as a result sometimes, but not always, disconnects.
It also sometimes seems to screech (sounds like somethings dying in there!) at really odd tones for 10-15 seconds before the connection is made, other times it'll screech for five and then hooks up straight away.

Screeching aside, is there a simple check a novice can do to see if the modem is operating as it should, in which case I can go to Paradise and say "must be you guys!".

I've looked under Modems in Control Panel, it tells me the modem is operating correctly, and the latest drivers are installed. However, anything that sounds like that cannot be operating correctly!!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated, or am I stuck with taking it back to the shop for a check-up?

Thanks
Tim

Prescott
19-09-2005, 12:54 PM
whatg sort of condition is your phone line in? is there any ticking in the line?

i would try a different modem, an because this screeching sound doesnt seem right. if you do buy a new modem, getg an external one for your bad line.

still my guess is that the line is in bad nick from fences

drcspy
19-09-2005, 01:17 PM
get a mate or relative to come by and put in their own dialup info say for another isp, xtra for example...if that works well then you have located the problem as being in the settins not the hardware........another idea....take the pc to someone elses place and then if it connects well then its possibly your phone lines..........

pctek
19-09-2005, 03:26 PM
All modems "screech". However I don't think the ticking is a good sign. But yes, get another modem (or PC) to your house and try it to see if it is your lines.

PaulD
19-09-2005, 03:51 PM
The V.90 handshake tests the line conditions. My modem makes a sort of bong noise. When it degenerates into a screech it's usually a sign that something went wrong with the V.90 handshake and the connection will end up at V.34 (slow).

pixeldust
20-09-2005, 09:21 AM
You should be able to determine if it's the line by plugging a phone into that line and dialing the number from the dialup settings. If it is operating fine, you'll receive the Paradise handshake when it connects after dialing.