PDA

View Full Version : Xandros resolution + speakers

Edward
18-09-2005, 06:58 PM
Haiz. I've just taken the plunge and ditched Windows XP on my bedroom computer and replaced it with Xandros, and am finding it great :D

But I've found a couple of small things.

1) I have a screen that goes up to 1280x1024 under Windows. It's a 15" screen so that resolution means text isn't readable, so usually I have 11x848 which is great. But the control panel only lets me go up to 1024x768 which I'm not used to. It's a Philips s on Intel 82815 graphics. My other computer that also has Xandros and Intel graphics does it fine with a Viewsonic monitor @_@

2) External sound dosen't work. This is a Compaq computer, and has an integrated speaker (mono). But when I plug in some speakers or some headphones on either of the two headphone/ling out jacks, sound still somes out of the craptastic integratd speaker. It happens in XMMS and Noautn. While I can still listen to music, it has the worlds worst bass, and it means I can't hear a DVD wihtout everyone else hearing as well

3) Probably a nub question, but how do you make it so NumLock is on at startup?

This is Xandros 3.02 OCE

Thanks, Edward

Chilling_Silence
18-09-2005, 09:44 PM
There is a way of manually specifying this in krandr or kcontrol, havent got KDE handy.

Otherwise, have a look in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Edit the file and add the resolution you prefer in front of the list which is approx 3/4 the way down the file. It'll look like:
"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
So if you change it to:
"1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
It should work fine :)

Sound, its probably muted, try alsamixer or kmix

K Menu --> Control Center (AKA kcontrol)
Under the keyboard settings in there, there's a Radio-selection of:
Leave as-is
Turn off at startup
Turn on at startup

John H
19-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Regarding sound - this is a common problem with Xandros, and I had to solve it as well with v3, but for the life of me I cannot recall the solution.

I suggest you go to http://forums.xandros.com/ and search under Multimedia forum. Forum members have assisted a number of people to solve this problem.

Oddly this was not a problem for me on my Fujitsu laptop with three iterations of v2, but v3 spat the dummy.