PDA

View Full Version : Does soundcard block out signal noise?

jamesyboi
18-09-2005, 02:59 PM
:eek: my headphones have a quiet electrical signal noise just wondering if soundcard would block it out. cos they dont have signal noise on my other computer that has onboard sound... the only way 2 stop it for me is to put volume really low... but thats bad cos i get no bass!

godfather
18-09-2005, 03:10 PM
A computer is about the worst item around for generating electrical "noise".

Some are better sheilded than others, but you need to give full details of where the headphones plug into, what the computer hardware is etc.

jamesyboi
18-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Asus a7v600 motherboard, onboard audio.
TDK MP100 Headphones.

Just considering soundcard to remove this signal noise. as its non-existant in other pc's

jamesyboi
18-09-2005, 10:42 PM
so will soundcard help?

Ron Bakker
19-09-2005, 08:08 AM
Well just going from my own experience, it worked for me changing to a card. The other trick is place the sound card in a slot far away from the video card so that it is more isolated from the rest of signal noise.
I also found that having a card it did a few other things better like recording sound.

godfather
19-09-2005, 10:08 AM
Asus a7v600 motherboard, onboard audio.
TDK MP100 Headphones.

The on-board sound does NOT have an output that will directly drive (satisfactorily) headphones or speakers unless they are "amplifies" (separately powered).

The "speaker out" is a "line level" socket designed to drive an amplifier. It is totally the wrong impedance to directly drive headphones or non-amplified speakers. PC speakers are apmlified, hence the power supply to them. Your headphones are not.

A few "brand name" PCs actually had a built-in audio amp that worked OK, but not sure if that is done these days. Check that any sound card has the right outputs as well.

What is often refererred to as "speaker out" is usually designed for an amplifier that drives the speakers (or headphones). They will work, but poorly as far as frequency response and volume goes, and will be much more prone to the "interference" you describe.

jamesyboi
20-09-2005, 08:39 AM
dayum. i see what u mean. so latest sound cards would have a power supply besides pci slot? like my geforce 6600GT?

godfather
20-09-2005, 09:32 AM
What good would a power supply do?
Your heaphones require an amplified output, they do not contain an amplifier that you can supply power to.

I have no idea what outputs are available on modern sound cards, if any of them include an amplified "true speaker level" (e.g. headphone as well) output (which means the sound card will have a built in power amplifier) and not just line levels.

jamesyboi
20-09-2005, 06:32 PM
omg i fixed it!!!
in volume control i put volume on lowest possible before its muted, and put wave on highest. and its the same but no interference :)

jamesyboi
20-09-2005, 09:47 PM
heres some info thats relevant to my problem. from pcworld article in fact...

The first is sound quality. While current integrated solutions offer impressive integrated sound on paper, the audio processors and associated wiring are built into the motherboard. As motherboards feature thousands of wires packed very close together, the current flowing down one wire often affects the current flowing down another. As a result, interference is common, which shows up as background noise in the audio signal. This tends to mean lots of pops, clicks, and buzzing can appear in output sound. The balance of signal and background noise is quoted as a signal to noise ratio (SNR), which is measured in decibels (dB). If a motherboard features a high signal to noise ratio. of around 100dB) , the listener can expect a clean, clear signal devoid of any background pops, clicks or buzzing. A low signal to noise ratio (below 90dB) will mean that audio signal will be affected by interference.