PDA

View Full Version : Win Xp home and Win 98 Networking

aidanmaz
17-09-2005, 06:04 PM
hi i hav spent many days tryin to network a Win Xp (home) and a Win98 using a CAt 6 crossover cable. i first tried TCP/IP and that didnt work so i tried the IPX/SPX protocol and there we go. My problem begin when the WIN XP can read and write 2 the 98 but when i go 2 network neighbourhood on 98 and double click the XP it says "\\computername cannot be found due to restrictions" WIN XP firewall is off and everything i am runnin MS antispyware is that the problem maybe? any help would be good

using 10/100 ethernet

Speedy Gonzales
17-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Yup, it isnt that easy with 98 and XP.

Have u got 98 or 98 SE?

Are you the only person on XP?? It is your PC, I take it?

You're not using something like TweakUI or similar on XP are you??

That lets u change settings etc in XP?

Any other firewalls installed if XP's firewall is off??

aidanmaz
17-09-2005, 06:24 PM
Win 98 (memphis)

On Win XP 3 users, 2 are admin one is not

no other firewalls

no tweak UI and XP SP1

Speedy Gonzales
17-09-2005, 06:33 PM
This may help with the 98 side

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxpwin9x.html

Terry Porritt
17-09-2005, 06:34 PM
It helps to have the same usernames and passwords on each networked computer.

>

drcspy
17-09-2005, 06:46 PM
netbuei

MACIAN
18-09-2005, 12:01 PM
I tried for months to get the network running and one day it flickered in to life and has run like a train ever since (for reasons still not completely understood).

Things I did though included:

enabling the local area connection in XP. There is a firewall thing as well as the connection and both need to be enabled. The connection still turns itself off from time to time and my network stops. But at least I know what teh problem is now.

You need to make sure that you have shared the files (and printers) on each computer. Note that I assume that when you click on the "my neighbourhood network" button on the win98 machine the machine can see itself. Sharing is probably a problem if the computer can't see itself. On the XP machine it is 'my network places" / "computers near me"

I upgraded to zone alarm pro. Zone alarm "ordinary" (ie sharware) doesn't seem to like networks.

For what it is worth, on the XP machine under "local Area Connections" "properties" I have "client for Microsoft Networks", printer and filke sharing ticked and "Internet Protocal (TCP/IP)". The win 98 machine has heaps of protocols. I think that I could delete most of these but am too scared in case I upset things.

One thing that I think caused me grief was a flakey motherboard. I have one computer that never ever networked for more than a day a month. I tried six different network cards, fiddled with protocols/clients etc etc and my only conclusion that I had a hardware conflict somewhere. Are you happy with all the hardware??

Two final thoughts, you do have the cross over netwpork cable and not a straight through cable don't you??? and a router can help. The IT guy at work gave me an old surplus router and I think this helped.

Good luck

beama
18-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Tweakui for 98 helped me out in this situation

Setup a user in 98 with the same name an password as one of the users in xp then set that user to auto login on the 98 machine using tweakui.

You may also want to check the permissions on the share within XP