PDA

View Full Version : No Default Gateway

Brain_Cell_Anon
17-09-2005, 06:05 AM
Hi Peeps and Peepettes! :D
I have just recently set up a 'Voyager 205 ADSL Modem/Router (pronounced..... well wherever your from it will be different!!! :p ) and have successfully set up the USB side, but the Ethernet side is proving to be a bit more of a problem. The computer recognises the NIC and says there is no problem, it's working fine. The BT software is loaded and appears to be ok. The light on the NIC is on when the cable is plugged in at both ends. The 205 has the Ethernet light on when the cable is connected at both ends. And yet I can't get no satisfaction!!! BT Help(less) does it's thing, seems to be a little line check or something, and comes up and says there is no Default Gateway. I've done the Knights that say 'PING' thing through the MS Command and even :eek: an 'ipconfig' (none of which means too much to me, but I get the drift!). BTW, the ipconfig says something akin to 'can't talk to modem/router' (technikal, ain't I?) which I am now assuming to be where I call for help from you bunch of motley computer heros!?!?!?!
Hope you can help, as I'm getting a bit sick of using the other computer and feeling as though I should hurry up and get off, even though I'm paying half of the broadband bill.
Many regards,
The Cell :thumbs:
PS Would have been on sooner, but they don't rush jobs in our house so it became a 'tuit' (I'll get around tu it!!! :groan: ) But now I've got my new computer up and running, I want my own access!!

Jen
17-09-2005, 06:48 AM
What is the operating system on the machine with the ethernet connection? Have you tried turning off the firewall on that machine and then checking for a connection to rule out the firewall blocking it?

What did the ping results show? Did they time out?

The default gateway is the modem/router and it will have a IP address. This should be given in the manual. You need to specify this IP in the network setup on that machine if for some reason the installation program didn't set this up correctly.

beama
17-09-2005, 07:58 AM
Silly question time

What type of cable are you using between pc and router ?

Should be a normal one, not crossover.

I've seen routers / pcs reconise each other as you describe but not able to communicate because a crossover cable was being used (if the router is autosensing it shouldn't make a diifference through).

pctek
17-09-2005, 08:12 AM
And you say you successfully set up the USB side - I hope you are not trying to set up etherent with USB already set up. You can't use both at the same time.

Jen
17-09-2005, 05:00 PM
And you say you successfully set up the USB side - I hope you are not trying to set up etherent with USB already set up. You can't use both at the same time.I had a look at the manufacturer's website, which has very little info and no manual available, but it does say "Connects up to 2 computers (1 on USB, 1 on Ethernet)" - see here (http://www.voyager.bt.com/205/prodinfo.htm).

pctek
17-09-2005, 05:20 PM
I had a look at the manufacturer's website, which has very little info and no manual available, but it does say "Connects up to 2 computers (1 on USB, 1 on Ethernet)" - see here (http://www.voyager.bt.com/205/prodinfo.htm).
Huh. Unusual.

pheonix
18-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Not anymore, as the Dlink 302g as well , allows both USB and Ethernet to be used at the same time as well.

pctek
18-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Still, thats 2 PCs using it - not the same PC.