PDA

View Full Version : 256KBps broadband ok?

Ninjabear
14-09-2005, 09:49 PM
HI

Thinking of moving to a flat next year.I've never used broadband connection to play games before.

At the moment I have a 56k modem with paradise and orcon.Their connection are the same speed.Neither paradise or orcon even with the accelerator make any difference.

I played a few games online like worms 4 mayhem...Didn't lag but connection was lost after a few minutes.

I then played command & conquer generals zero hour with a ping of 328ms-408ms..

If i were to play it using a 256k connection .What would the ping be?

I asked orcon if they offer a 2mbps connection and they said no but might offer it in the future..

So guys...Whats the speed like playing games with a 256k connection?

My computers fast enough to play any games and at the end of the year when i go to hk for holiday.I'll upgrade my graphics card

Ninjabear
14-09-2005, 09:50 PM
people keep kicking me out of their hosted games because I lag my ping is over 300 while others average at around 230-265ms

Freejack
14-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Latency (ping times) is always an issue from NZ when playing online against people outside NZ. Its not something you can accurately predict because there are so many factors involved.

BUT!

Its very likely that you will experience better ping times than dial-up.

Metla
14-09-2005, 10:26 PM
It suits me, browsing is snappy, downloads are quick without breaking any records and gaming is fine on NZ servers.

Still, if it wasn't unlimited I wouldn't be usiung it......

satanx
15-09-2005, 02:21 AM
heh...generally,256k is fine for online gaming...i guess it will all depend on where you live,at the end of the day,and luck...me & a mate in aucks(im in rotovegas,way out in the country by a lake)used 256 for a few months then both upgraded to 2mb at the same time...we both found that at 256k ut2k4 plays just fine,thank you...chances are that the games you play will benefit from it...go for the 256 plan,2m is nice,but the sods cap you to 64k(read:aaargh! its like being on a frikken' dialup again!)after 10G,which you can do in 2 days quite easily...
hope this helps...

Ninjabear
15-09-2005, 02:24 AM
heh...generally,256k is fine for online gaming...i guess it will all depend on where you live,at the end of the day,and luck...me & a mate in aucks(im in rotovegas,way out in the country by a lake)used 256 for a few months then both upgraded to 2mb at the same time...we both found that at 256k ut2k4 plays just fine,thank you...chances are that the games you play will benefit from it...go for the 256 plan,2m is nice,but the sods cap you to 64k(read:aaargh! its like being on a frikken' dialup again!)after 10G,which you can do in 2 days quite easily...
hope this helps...

yeah just checking my usage for dialup i can use 1.5gb a day!!! Thats just for playing c&C!!!

Hmm yeah too bad there isn't a 2mbps flat rate.

Greg
15-09-2005, 03:37 AM
yeah just checking my usage for dialup i can use 1.5gb a day!!! Thats just for playing c&C!!!
That sounds daft. I've measured some of my online gaming useage to be around 20 - 30 MB's per hour. If you're going through 1.5 gigs per day just gaming then I'd guess you never eat or shower or use the toilet.

Your ping on a 2mb connection wouldn't actually be a lot better than on 256k because our lousy adsl connections here limit the upload speed - most domestic plans only give 128 upload, and of course the upload speed is as important as the download speed when it comes to gaming. :( :mad: :yuck:

Nyuuji
15-09-2005, 07:56 AM
Im on a 1Mbps up and 1Mbps down plan and I get a ping of around 30 ms on NZ servers and 60 ms for Aus servers. So for for a 256 Kbps plan a guess you might get around 150~250 ms ping if ya lucky, and the wind is blowin' in the right direction, and ya hold your tongue just right. :D

(this is a pure guesstimate).

Greven
15-09-2005, 08:35 AM
You will get a ping of around 100, give or take 10 (at least on CS. pings on CS tend to be higher than other games). No ADSL plan will be good enough for overseas gaming.

Mcpisik
15-09-2005, 09:00 AM
I get a ping of around 75 with counter strike in Queenstown, on nz servers. Thats on 256k rate. Theres no way youre using 1.5g on the game a day, by itself.(unless its the actual game that youre downloading?), Im on the 1g plan and never get reduced to dial up. I play about 5-6 hours a day. Perfect for me. Have tried the faster speed plan but it gave me not even 1 ping better due to upload speeds being the same...so went back after a month to lower speed...
Games that arent fps are fine on overseas servers...eg age of mythology or similar
:rolleyes:

Metla
15-09-2005, 09:11 AM
From Wanganui I get pings in CS:S of between 80-120 for NZ servers, Cant just get by with playing on a few Aussie servers.

Slower paced games (as noted) are not an issue, and I have had excellent results playing rFactor online, But that was built from the ground up to excel online. Having said that, if a couple of knog-heads join with massive ping then it all turns to jelly.

Ninjabear
15-09-2005, 10:39 AM
I suppose the upload connection is the speed that it takes to communicate from my end to their server?

I believe download would be more important than upload correcT?

Ninjabear
15-09-2005, 10:43 AM
If i download at 4.5-5kbps using dialup what would the download speed be with 256k?

Battleneter
15-09-2005, 10:57 AM

Hmm yeah too bad there isn't a 2mbps flat rate.

ummmm yea, A dialup 56K modem maxium download speed depending on the ISP area bla bla is about 15MB per hour.

It would be basically impossible to use much over 400MB in a full day little own 1.5 gig, it would be one hell of a dial up modem. C&C uses around 2KB/S from memory. I think your probably getting confused between Kilobits and Kilobytes in your usage meter.

Battleneter
15-09-2005, 11:02 AM
If i download at 4.5-5kbps using dialup what would the download speed be with 256k?

Your download speed would be about 32KB/S which is the figure your probably after not KBPS, your modem was doing 4.5-5KB/s not KBPS.

Here read this

http://www.xo.com/products/smallgrowing/internet/dsl/kilobits.html

handya
15-09-2005, 11:27 AM
yeah its fine, but i would recomend an isp like telecom *shudder* as they have a lower ping than other isp's cos most other ones go thu telecom which incresses lag!

Metla
15-09-2005, 12:04 PM
No need to associate with Satan because he is well dressed.

Besides, the Telecom plans suck.

Greg
15-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Besides, the Telecom plans suck.Then I'm doomed! :( I just signed up wi them for their 2MB speed plan for our new house.

:horrified

Greven
15-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Then I'm doomed! :( I just signed up wi them for their 2MB speed plan for our new house.

:horrified
You're not doomed, just ripped

Ninjabear
15-09-2005, 01:33 PM
It said that i used 10395.8k

that should be 1gb correct?

2005-08-26 23:29:34 2005-08-27 12:24:00 12:54:26 4233.31k-upload
10395.68 k-download 49333-BPS 219.88.128.5

satanx
15-09-2005, 09:38 PM
heh...
a/.your,or should i say my,d/l speed with 2M,when torrenting,hits 215KB/sec...with 256 its about 30KB/sec...gaming,even a fps...uses *sod all* compared to a full on downloaded torrent,so i guess its all the linux iso's that max out my usage... :lol:
b/.how do you know if im well dressed? :confused:

Greg
15-09-2005, 11:53 PM
heh...
a/.your,or should i say my,d/l speed with 2M,when torrenting,hits 215KB/sec...with 256 its about 30KB/sec...gaming,even a fps...uses *sod all* compared to a full on downloaded torrent,so i guess its all the linux iso's that max out my usage... :lol:
b/.how do you know if im well dressed? :confused:Wow mate... you make a lot of sense

Big John
16-09-2005, 08:47 AM
HI

At the moment I have a 56k modem with paradise and orcon.Their connection are the same speed.Neither paradise or orcon even with the accelerator make any difference.

I then played command & conquer generals zero hour with a ping of 328ms-408ms..

If i were to play it using a 256k connection .What would the ping be?

Pings don't have much difference regardless of what speed you have. The packet for a ping is extremely small so takes a small fraction of time. Most of the ping time is measured by how long it takes to go from your machine to the machine you are pinging and back again. And that depends on the route it takes so you could actually end up with a big ping time connecting to a NZ site if it first goes offshore and then comes back due to routing.

I have found Jetstream 128K about the same ping times as the 2MB speed and both a little better than dialup.

What it does affect the most though is lag because this is actual data being transferred and this can take time to complete. The 128K connection would still lag but the 2MB one can take a lot more. However as noted the uplink speed is still only 128K so this still affects things.