PDA

View Full Version : Legal Spyware - Securom

pctek
13-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Recently I installed a game demo. Great game - will buy it when its out.
However after uninstalling it I discovered it had the latest Securom (not yet given a version number) on it. Rather excessive for a demo.
Not only that, but it did not uninstall Securom either. It places several files in C:\Docs&settings/Username/Application Data. 2 of them are not removable. At all.
It creates 2 other files in System32 - such as cmdline.dll. These recreate themselves if removed.

It also creates a Registry Entry. This is not removable nor renamable.
None of these files are normally shown.

I questioned Securom about it and was told Not to worry about it, they are not harmful. That was not my question actually.
Anything that installs itself )A without asking B)Hides itself C)Resists removal
is in my opinion spyware - regradless of whether or not its harmful.

I'll still buy the game but I'll block its reg installs and if it requires them to run, do what I did this time - reGhost my PC once I have finished and have uninstalled it.
Nasty.

Metla
13-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Whats the game?

Just to make sure I don't buy it or install the demo.......(it wasn't AOE3 was it?)

pctek
13-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Probably F.E.A.R. We did install Area51 demo too, but I'd say Fear going by the discussion about copy protections on their forum. Won't help avoiding it you know - I'd say there will be a LOT of games using it soon.

Metla
13-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Hmmm.....Quite happy to go without,and not give my cash to companies that spread rot.

So far have managed to avoid all starforce games and still don't have enough time to play the games I have bought.

pctek
13-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Hah, success! Using my sons PC as guinea pig (well he already had the infection demo on it) I had another go. None of the remove on boot things work. GIPO reported that the file did not exist, haha.
So - first I did a system restore to take care of the registry. Deleted the file I could remember out of system32. Then I booted off a DOS boot disk. Actual DOS. Theres 2 directories - Docs & Settings - !SUBMIT. Killed all of that.
Docs&Settings - User - App Data - Securom - killed all of those too. A nice simple attrib on the lot and a deltree.
DOS rules.
Of course it helps if your main partition is Fat32 - haven't tried any of these NTFS DOS thingys. Are they actual DOS? Or just command line tools?

Myth
13-09-2005, 08:58 PM
Any chance you could try the same trial on an NTFS partition based install? and let us know how ya got on :)

Metla.. as for those games you don't have time to try... flick em my way (on an appropriately [graphics card-wise] powered machine) and I will test all you want :D

pctek
13-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Any chance you could try the same trial on an NTFS partition based install? and let us know how ya got on :)

Haha, you go ahead and get back to me. I don't have an NTFS partition...

Myth
13-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Haha, you go ahead and get back to me. I don't have an NTFS partition...Awww but that means I gotta boot back into Windows :(

Besides, I don't have access to the game, whereas I know you have access to the game, and probably a spare harddrive :p

netchicken
13-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Look like some tools here http://www.gameburnworld.com/cdprotectionutilities.htm

pctek
13-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Look like some tools here http://www.gameburnworld.com/cdprotectionutilities.htm
They're designed to hack the game. And they are all old ones.

This is the new as yet not in common use Securom. The whole point is have a new method - I bet its going to require you to validate in some way online too - sort of Steam but not as in downloading - just an online check.
It also defeats the excuse that "I just want to run the game without my CD in the drive" by having this stuff on your PC and running checks. IT checks old games too.

And Tazz - all my drives are Fat32. Anyway asked a friend - he's used NTFS DOS - dunno which one - he said its not quite as good but seems to work more or less - it can stuff your File Allocation table (does NTFS have a fat?) or NTFSs equivalent - but running windows again will launch chkdsk and fix it so no worries.

I don't object to their new protection - just the way it behaves - I complained to them - not that they care really.

The book 1984 was just 20 years early.

Greven
14-09-2005, 09:34 PM
The book 1984 was just 20 years early.
Or perhaps the book delayed by 20 years what was already planned

Chilling_Silence
14-09-2005, 09:38 PM
SecuROM?

Im sure this is the stuff that Alcohol 120% has been breaking for years....

ClonyXXL will tell you the revision of SecuROM

pctek
15-09-2005, 01:30 AM
Its the new version. It works differently to the older ones too.
ANyway I have removed it from mine and everyones PC that I gave it to now. Inc the NTFS one. That was trickier. NTFS4DOS is pretty useless as far as commands go.