PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a PC but time for upgrade already?

jamesyboi
12-09-2005, 02:16 PM
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
VIA KT400 Motherboard
768mb DDR400 ram
Geforce 6600GT AGP 128mb
40GB HDD 7200rpm
Onboard sound
CD Rom 48x
Onboard Network

Playing games like .kkreiger, counter-strike source, battlefield 2 lag quiet often.

I have another PC with same spec, but Via KT600, amd 3200 and 1gb ram and it doesn't lag.

Do you think I should replace the motherboard and CPU? I get 56fps in the css video stress test with this pc, and my slightly better one i get 66fps. The only major difference is cpu and motherboard so do u think i should upgrade?

just 2 b sure

xmojo1
12-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Definitely upgrade, your graphics card and memory are perfectly adequate to handle those games but it's been bottlenecked by the slow CPU. If your memory modules are single-channelled (and I assume they are) you can re-use them in an AMD socket 754 mobo. I'd recommend upgrading to at least the socket 754 Athlon64 3000+ (retails for $230). There are decent socket 754 mobos priced between $90-120, so for a total cost of $320-350 you can get yourself a decent CPU-mobo upgrade and re-use the rest of your hardware.

Metla
12-09-2005, 05:03 PM
I disagree.

Those specs should be able to run the games with no slow down easily, unless your turning up the details so high (and with AA and AF )that its straining your video card.

I would suggest looking at the software enviorment.

(and if you do decide to go for a cpu/Motherboard upgrade then go for a 939-pin, the 754 doesn't match it for perfomance and is a dead-end product)

oh yeah, There is no such thing as dual channel ram,just boards that can run ram in dual channel....

xmojo1
12-09-2005, 05:22 PM
oh yeah, There is no such thing as dual channel ram,just boards that can run ram in dual channel....

you're right, I forgot that the mobo's determine single-channel or dual-channel memory slots. The recommendation for the socket 754 CPU/mobo is in case jamesyboi wants to keep and use the memory modules he already has. Again I'm guessing that he may have a 512MB/256MB or 256MB x 3 combo of memory. Not entirely sure, but dual channel memory slots require modules of same size, speed & type? At least, until the Venice core Athlon64s came out. The socket 754 upgrade path is the cheapest but a dead-end as you have pointed out.

jamesyboi
12-09-2005, 06:33 PM
i got a new 512ddr400 and 256ddr400, so ur saying my ram may not work with new mobo? i dont know if its duel or single channel. i just bought an extra 512chip. bought this pc from a cafe lol. upgraded the graphics and ram already.

jamesyboi
12-09-2005, 06:51 PM
so what if its a dead end? wouldn't parts work on it anyway..owell im aiming for a 939. its mi bro's pc and hes kinda pissed that it doesn't go as good as mine :D.

Metla
12-09-2005, 07:05 PM
The ram will work on either format,dual/single channel is not a big issue, performance wont be hampered by running both sticks in single channel.

However, if you want the full benifit of the 939 board then you would be looking at a PCI-E video card, otherwise you would have to buy an 939 running on an Nforce4 which will give you an agp slot.

Have you looked at teh software as I suggested?, If you don't know what to look for then just bench it and compare the results to similar machines, this will tell you if its operating at the speed it should be.

jamesyboi
12-09-2005, 08:27 PM
oh sorry i forgot about software. im sure theres nothing software side, as i am a superduper windows pro and i have about 7 antispyware/crap/virus cleaners and a really good defrag program. if anything, my software is running best possible.

lol boasting theres sorry. :D anyways ill look into an nforce4 and amd3000 64bit...
only question left is why does the 64bit 2800 & 3000 have 1.8ghz only? i know theres more power each clock cycle but still.... my 2500+ oc'ed at 3200+ ~ 2.2ghz would be slower than a 64 bit 3000+ 2.0ghz?

Myth
12-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Windows Pro huh? In that case you will know that running 7 apps at once will consume quite a bit of memory, even when they are just doing real-time scans in the background.

Greven
13-09-2005, 09:40 AM
7 anti-crap programs? that means that whenever you read or write to disk, that data will be read 7 times before your game can do anything with it.
My computer is getting really outdated now (2000+,512mb RAM, ti4200) & it still runs CS:S fine.

Metla
13-09-2005, 10:28 AM
And so it should.

My last rig was similar to the thread starters, except I had less ram,a g4ti4200 and an ECS board that cost me $30 bucks, and it ran CS:S like a mofo....

jamesyboi
13-09-2005, 11:00 AM
oh come on people. you dont actually think id run any of those scanners while playing games??!! of course not..... i dont run anything when playing games.

Metla
13-09-2005, 11:10 AM
Humour me...

How many items to do you have running on start up?

How many non-MS background services are running?

When the comp is idle does the task manager report the cpu as idle?,are there any task/procesors reporting usage of teh CPU?

Defragged?

jamesyboi
13-09-2005, 04:51 PM
0 items on startup, 0 non-ms services, defragged every day, only windows problem is with msn, voice messages freeze the pc and make msn stop responding.

pctek
13-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Actually I have 10 anti-infestation programes. Only 2 run though. ZA and Counterspy.
The others I just fire up on the odd occasion. They are not resident or using realtime scanning or suchlike. Just because he has 7 doesn't mean they are all running....
I do leave them on during games but considering my system - I imagine its quite bored most of the time anyway...

Battleneter
13-09-2005, 06:03 PM
Battlefield 2 needs MORE than 1 Gig of ram to run smoothly otherwise it pages and you get stutters.

I have read this in many forums and when I tested myself by going from 1 gig to 1.25 gig (flogged a bit of ram out of the server), noticed a large difference. Also a software mem monitor confirmed BF2 was running out of ram on 1 gig.

Its probably crappy progrmming but BF2 definately requires OVER 1 gig of ram. Hard to belive until you see it yourself.

:eek:

So id say go for more ram B4 doing anything else, also helps games like Doom3 etc (not saying anyone wants to play that crap).

jamesyboi
13-09-2005, 09:14 PM
lol, i used 2 use zonealarm until it kept dc'ing my dl's.

ive tried games like kkreiger (96kb) where it is heavily cpu based because of the programming. ill try 1gb in the pc and see what happens.

pctek
13-09-2005, 09:57 PM
I agree. FEAR requires 1 Gb to be smooth - 512mb it just hitches all the time making it unplayable. However it does nothing for the level of detail - thats dependant on the card.

memphis
13-09-2005, 11:35 PM
Yeah I play BF2 and started with 512mb ddr,stuttering ect so went to 1024mb ddr,which made a big difference and was great and then grabbed 512mb ddr to add to it to see if it would make a difference and it just flys now and is very smooth with 1.5 gb of ram.(I am tepted to go to 2 gb!!!) :D

Very bad programming indeed.

All the new good games seem to need at the least 2 x 512mb ddr.

Ram is the best buy to make as you can use it again in your next computer.

:)

Battleneter
14-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Yeah I play BF2 and started with 512mb ddr,stuttering ect so went to 1024mb ddr,which made a big difference and was great and then grabbed 512mb ddr to add to it to see if it would make a difference and it just flys now and is very smooth with 1.5 gb of ram.(I am tepted to go to 2 gb!!!) :D

Very bad programming indeed.

All the new good games seem to need at the least 2 x 512mb ddr.

Ram is the best buy to make as you can use it again in your next computer.

:)

Yea I ended up going to 2 gig (board had to run 4 identical dims for dual channel support), and I don't regret it one bit. I can Alt Tab out of games back to the desktop as fast as doing it with notepad etc.

Id say 1.5 (soon to be 2) gig is the new standard in games, I also notices the "F.E.A.R" demo chewed up the ram. Its funnuy, it only seemed like a few weeks ago I was thinking 1gig was heaps and I would be ok for years lol.

Also you can dissable the page file in XP with 2 gig, although the odd app may not run this way, however I have had no problems.

memphis
14-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Quote:by Battlenetter

Its funnuy, it only seemed like a few weeks ago I was thinking 1gig was heaps and I would be ok for years lol.

Yeah I thought that too. :D

Maybe by making the games needing more ram to run well its a way to make us upgrade our operating systems from XP to Longhorn (Long Yawn) as it can take/need more ram then XP can/does. :rolleyes: