PDA

View Full Version : PC not recognising additional RAM Module after installation

Topes
11-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Hi All

Looking for a little help. I've installed an additional 512MB DDR400 3200 into my machine today, complimenting the existing 512MB DDR400 3200, in DDR Slots 1 (original) & 2 (new module).

When I started the PC it only recognised 512MB of RAM under My Computer properties and in the BIOS.

By the following Process I have determined that neither the RAM or the DDR Slots are at fault, so I'm thinking I'm meant to set something either manually on the motherboard or via the BIOs.

Step 1. Added new RAM Module in DDR Slot 2 and started machine.
Step 2. Removed both RAM Modules and placed new RAM Module into Slot 1 where original module resided.
Step 3. Removed all RAM and placed Original Module in Slots 2, then 3 after respective restarts.
Step 4. Removed all RAM and repeated above process with New RAM Module.
Step 5. Removed all RAM attempted restart which failed.

During all of these steps the PC only recognised 512MB RAM (or failed in Step 5).

Motherboard: Giga-Byte GA-8S648FX (P4 Titan, 3.0 Ghz)
RAM Modules: Hynix (new) and Veritech (original)

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers
Topes

drcspy
11-09-2005, 05:50 PM
if you have four slots try slot 1&3

drcspy
11-09-2005, 05:54 PM
as far as i can tell you only had 512mb IN the pc during steps 2,3,4 ?......... you seem to have ascertained that each ram stick works individually in any slot ?..

but when you put both in the system only recognised one ?.........WHICH one ?.......and if say it recognised the stick in slot 3 but not slot 1 what happens if you switch them around........and NO there is NO adjustlments needed in bios when installing ram..........does your mobo support this ram according to the manual ?

pctek
11-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Or it doesn't like the combination of the two different types.

Topes
11-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Didn't think that would be a problem with the brand types, but looking for suggestions.

Yep, tried slots 1 & 3 aswell, same result.
Not sure which one it was recognising when I put both modules in, how can I tell?

Cheers
Topes

drcspy
11-09-2005, 09:13 PM
pull one then see what happens.........then replace it and pull the other one..........ah........make suere you dont go pulling ram out or putting it in while the pc is on of course.......

Topes
12-09-2005, 12:53 PM
pull one then see what happens.........then replace it and pull the other one..........ah........make suere you dont go pulling ram out or putting it in while the pc is on of course.......

Thanks dude

Yup, did this no cigar, it always only identifies the one stick.

Cheers
Topes