PDA

View Full Version : How to use DAEMON tool?

Renmoo
09-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Hello people, I have just installed Enclopaedia Britannica 2000 Deluxe. However, to access the resource, I need to constant put the resource cd into the CD drive. I had created an iso image of the resource CD and mount it as drive E: using the DAEMON tool. However, every time I startup Encyclopedia Britannica, it keeps looking for drive D: How can I alter this?

Cheers :)

Graham L
09-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Try the old DOS command assign. Can you do an autoexec.bat to run it in XP? Does it exist in XP?

(Use the run command with assign /?)

Renmoo
09-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Try the old DOS command assign. Can you do an autoexec.bat to run it in XP? Does it exist in XP?

I am no genius in autoexec.bat stuff. Although I have heard of it, I have never actually try exploring that before...

Graham L
09-09-2005, 04:18 PM
You can probably use the Start/Run... thing. Try that "assign /?" first .. if the command exists, it will give you the options and how to use it. Then you could actually issue the command manually the same way.

Renmoo
09-09-2005, 04:23 PM
You can probably use the Start/Run... thing. Try that "assign /?" first .. if the command exists, it will give you the options and how to use it. Then you could actually issue the command manually the same way.
I have just look up on the net for more info on autoexec.bat. I have tried going through the command prompt and typed in "edit c:\autoexec.bat" and a blue screen (no, not the blue screen of death) came up the screen, allowing me to edit autoexec.bat (I suppose?). Thanks for your quick reply, Graham L

P.S. A Print Screen (http://imagef1.x10hosting.com/files/psblue.jpg)

bjocque
09-09-2005, 05:01 PM
daemon's taskbar icon can be right clicked (i think, from memory) and in the pop up menu you can assign the .iso file to a virtual cd-rom drive, and the iso should stay mounted until you eject it (unmount it)

the taskbar icon will turn green to signify that a file is "mounted", red for no mounted file

you can nominate how many virtual cd drives you want etc

PaulD
09-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Did Britannica not offer to do a complete instal to the Hard drive so that you wouldn't have to use the CD?

The program probably has an entry in the registry pointing to the appropriate CD drive for the disk. You may be able to change it to point to the virtual drive.

Renmoo
09-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Problem solved! After discussing the issue with a friend named Sarah, this is what I did. First, I uninstall the Encyclopedia Britannica 2000 program. Then, I create an image of it from the CD and mount it via drive E:. After that, I run the program from drive E:, which is a virtual drive. The program installation just went on normally. Next, I unmount the Encyclopedia Britannica 2000 installation program image and mount up the resource street onto drive E:. Voila! That works! However, the resource CD comes in two CDs, so occasionally when I am wandering off to other sections, it would prompt me for another disc, which I can easily solve it be unmount and mount up the other disc. Still, does anyone has a better idea to resolve this minor trouble? :confused:

Renmoo
09-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Did Britannica not offer to do a complete instal to the Hard drive so that you wouldn't have to use the CD?

The program probably has an entry in the registry pointing to the appropriate CD drive for the disk. You may be able to change it to point to the virtual drive.
Nope, all I did was install the main program and whenever I want to enter the sections, it will prompt me to insert the resource CD. Bear in mind it is Encyclopedia Britannica 2000, not the latest one that the PCWorld September issue has.

Graham L
09-09-2005, 05:56 PM
EB want you to use the CD. It's called "piracy prevention" by polite people. They don't want one CD being used to install on 500 computers. It's Encyclopaedia Brittanica, not Linux. ;)

Greg
09-09-2005, 06:35 PM

I am no genius in autoexec.bat stuff. Although I have heard of it, I have never actually try exploring that before...

The above probably demonstrates the beauty of being in the middle of this era's technological age-group - not too young to not know about DOS, and not too old to have to still rely on it. :thumbs:

Graham L
09-09-2005, 06:50 PM
I don't rely on DOS. But I can remember computers before there was DOS. ;) And I still use DOS on PCs. It's quicker than any Windows.

Renmoo
09-09-2005, 06:58 PM
EB want you to use the CD. It's called "piracy prevention" by polite people. They don't want one CD being used to install on 500 computers. It's Encyclopaedia Brittanica, not Linux. ;)
How about the latest September PCWorld Magazine's Encyclopedia Britannica? Everybody is given one copy. And I suppose it is full version, instead one that keeps on prompting you to insert the PCWorld CD?

Renmoo
09-09-2005, 07:00 PM
Errr, if I am not mistaken, it should be EB wants, right? I suppose this is because you are treating it as a one group compound words...

pctek
09-09-2005, 07:06 PM
The above probably demonstrates the beauty of being in the middle of this era's technological age-group - not too young to not know about DOS, and not too old to have to still rely on it. :thumbs:
But too young to realise how much control you had using it vs a rather limited control GUI.

PaulD
09-09-2005, 08:03 PM

I was able to do it with the 98 version with an edit to an ini file detailed on EB's support site and the 2002 version had full install as an option.

The PC world version is a 2005 Almanac ie just a yearbook not the full EB unless I'm mistaken.

SurferJoe46
10-09-2005, 04:07 AM
I bought the EB Ready Reference Version (2003) in a discount bin at the local electronics/geek/mod shop, and it let me online register for the whole free copy of the EB.

I paid $19.00 US for the Ready Reference, and the upgrade never cost me more. The whole thing resides in one of my 200 gig JBODS and doesn't seem to take a lot of room.

The version I got came in as a download, taking 7 minutes to receive/install. I later opted for the videos and they took another 14 minutes to download. There was a choice as to which video player I wanted for my default; I chose WMP 9, because Version 10 was not on the list...but it let me update and runs flawlessly on Version 10.

I guess there is more than one version of EB, and I wonder if your magazine is just sending a teaser for the whole EB program instead of the total package like the Ready Reference disc I got........... :confused: .

Jen
10-09-2005, 09:19 AM
I guess there is more than one version of EB, and I wonder if your magazine is just sending a teaser for the whole EB program instead of the total package like the Ready Reference disc I gotThe NZ PC World has on it the full version of Encyclopaedia Britannica Almanac, not the Encyclopaedia Britannica itself. My Dad is into looking up statistics and other stuff like that so I installed it on his Win98se machine. It took ~150 MB of drive space to install and doesn't require the CD to be in the drive.

Renmoo
10-09-2005, 10:07 AM
The NZ PC World has on it the full version of Encyclopaedia Britannica Almanac, not the Encyclopaedia Britannica itself. My Dad is into looking up statistics and other stuff like that so I installed it on his Win98se machine. It took ~150 MB of drive space to install and doesn't require the CD to be in the drive.
So, that means the E.B. contains only Almanac section? Does it contain only statistics only?

Renmoo
10-09-2005, 11:33 PM
Is it possible to merge two CD image file (.iso) into one image?

bob_doe_nz
10-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Bah! My 1994 edition of EB HARD COPY is all I need....

Prescott
11-09-2005, 12:55 PM
meh, the internet will suit me just fine :thumbs: