PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new computer.

JJJJJ
08-09-2005, 06:53 AM
I have not added anything to my computer for the best part of a year so I think it's time to start again. My Xmas present to me.
Some info required:

(1) Athlon FX or Athlon x2 ?

(2)Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI motherboard, Socket 939, Athlon64, nForce4 SLI Chipset, 4xDIMM, DDR, 2xPCIe-16, 2xPCIe-1, 2xPCI, 10xUSB 2, ATA, SATA, LAN, ATX .....or
Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard, Socket 939, 4xDIMM, DDR, 8XAGP, 5xPCI, 8xUSB2, Firewire, On-board audio, ATA, SATA, RAID, ATX

(3) Nvidia or Radeon? Is one better than the other? I have a Radeon 9800 at present and am not realy happy with it.

(4)A case. What is a GOOD case with a sliding tray? I like the look of Lian-li, but as I have never seen one in the flesh I can't be sure.

Shortcircuit
08-09-2005, 08:42 AM
I just did what you're thinking of doing...

Purchased:
AMD 3000+ (venice core) as the 90nm venice runs cooler than the standard 3000. I think the FX are pretty expensive?

Asus AV8 m/board... good if you've already got a 'standard' PCI video card and don't want to have to purchase a new PCIe card to fit the new PCIe m/boards.

I have heard that the Gigabyte SLI m/board is not too reliable... I think there were a few comments in other threads about it. The up side is if you get the Gigabyte m/board it's PCIe and the PCIe video cards are less expensive than the PCI cards.

I also purchased an Nvidea 6600 video card... I've a couple before but don't do gaming, the great thing about Nvidea cards especially if you've got an LCD monitor is that they have a very good colour display set up menu where you can alter all parts of the monitor settings... brightness contrast RGB colour etc. I don't think the Radeon cards have this?

I purchased a Coolermaster case (more for the look than anything)... no slide out m/board tray but lots of room inside, especially good 'screwless' bays for hard drives etc. A big plus is the front/side USB ports... makes life a lot easier than trying to fell around the back of a case for plug holes!

HTH

pctek
08-09-2005, 08:44 AM
(1) Athlon FX or Athlon x2 ?

In fact it is cheaper to get a Dual Core CPU than an FX. The FX is overrated anyway.

(2)Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI motherboard, Socket 939, Athlon64, nForce4 SLI Chipset, 4xDIMM, DDR, 2xPCIe-16, 2xPCIe-1, 2xPCI, 10xUSB 2, ATA, SATA, LAN, ATX .....or
Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard, Socket 939, 4xDIMM, DDR, 8XAGP, 5xPCI, 8xUSB2, Firewire, On-board audio, ATA, SATA, RAID, ATX

Asus, no question.

(3) Nvidia or Radeon? Is one better than the other? I have a Radeon 9800 at present and am not realy happy with it.

Then go with Nvidia - its a personal choice. I always had NVidia and now have ATI but I'd get another Nvidia again - have had no probs with either.

(4)A case. What is a GOOD case with a sliding tray? I like the look of Lian-li, but as I have never seen one in the flesh I can't be sure.

Depending where you live you could go into a shop and view one. Overclockers has a number of good cases - links to detailed pictures and reviews as well.

Trev
08-09-2005, 09:16 AM
The best graphics card to get at the moment is the Nvidia based Geforce FX 7800 series. See latest PC World. Wish I had the money to upgrade my P4 2.53 533FSB system. Although I just turbo charged it a bit by upgrading my Geforce 4 TI4200 64mb card to a FX 6800 128mb card.

Trevor :)

pctek
08-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Actually I would go with the A8N-E Deluxe.
And the 78800GTX is the newest but unless you really want the latest the 6600GT is quite good enough.