PDA

View Full Version : Storing Digital Photos on Hard Drive

Hagen
07-09-2005, 08:40 PM
I have copied my camera memory card to the computer hard drive and have tried to rearrange the order in which they are stored. I want to give them titles and have them stored in an order that I determine but seems my programs do not allow that. Have tried a few by number 1 up but I want something more than numbers and have hundreds to do. Is there a software program that would allow me to name them my way, to sort them to MY order and than have them saved in MY sequence. Grateful for help.

Misty
07-09-2005, 09:09 PM
I have copied my camera memory card to the computer hard drive

Hi Hagen
You probably need to let the team know what software the camera uses at present ? They may even need to know your operating system ?

Misty :)

Murray P
07-09-2005, 09:23 PM
There are file/image renaming/ordering programmes, but you shouldn't need it as the software should allow you to upload and store by any /namenumber of variations, including folder with name and shooting date and specific alpha numeric prefixes.

As Misty has mentioned, give some more details, the solution may be a couple of clicks away.

Hagen
07-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Thanks Misty and MurryP - sorry, now know the basic to get help is to let you have the OS - this is Windows XP Home (but am about to switch to the Pro edition)
Camera is Sony DSC85 - have Photoshop Elements but not sure what other program other than the Window system I need to achieve my need? I had thought that within Windows XP there was a way but f so, can't find it. If not - that is the second question I need help on. Thanks for the interest.
Later have added:
Sorry - should have mentioned that I have only been trying to use Windows XP to name/label/store in order etrc. - seems no means in Elements to do that.

Murray P
07-09-2005, 11:58 PM
In PS Elements go, File menu > Batch Convert > Rename.

What we are talking about is the software that is bundled with the camera for downloading and sorting images from the camera or a/its memory card. It's the interface you use to carry out this task and will probably be called Sony ******

I know XP has some neat tricks, but I personally don't know the finer ins & outs of that OS. I prefer to use the tools that come with a device/camera or 3rd party ones if found to be better, rather than MSs' built in ones.

Rob99
08-09-2005, 12:19 AM
Select all > Rename and Windows will name them "filename (1)" etc.

But I would use a third party program one that can rename to filename0001, filename0002 would be my choice. Try IrfanView (http://www.irfanview.com/).

Strommer
08-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Try IrfanView (http://www.irfanview.com/).

I second that. I use IrfanView all the time for renaming files, and not just photos. A freebie. :)

heaton
08-09-2005, 11:06 AM
Sorry - should have mentioned that I have only been trying to use Windows XP to name/label/store in order etrc. - seems no means in Elements to do that.[/QUOTE]

What I do is access each photo wherever your camera puts them into your computer, usually in my pictures, resize, edit and adjust contrast brightness etc., then rename them and save to a folder created as sub folder in my pictures. I choose a name starting with the main subject i.e. Jill with Puppy etc., then I can easily find all pictures with Jill as the main subject. In the folder they are automatically sorted under J.
I create different folders for different subject matters such as :
Family and Friends, Scenic, Holidays, experimental etc., etc.

Hagen
10-09-2005, 09:02 PM
Many thanks for the replies. Elements doesn't seem to give me what I want so will try the suggestion from Robb 99 and Steve L - sounds promising. I will put a post on later to let others also know if that works for my needs. Maybe a week away due to other tasks away from here. Cheers. Hagen.

bjocque
12-09-2005, 08:43 AM
what i tend to do with files/pix is name them with a leading 6 figure number in the format of year year month month day day and i find that sorts them into chronological order automatically whenever i go into the directory, also try and sort shots by topic

i like ckrename as a renaming app, give it a look sometime????

http://www.musicsucks.com/CKSoft/CKRename/

follow the link, apoligisee (??spelling) in advance for the pop ups

i think i got my first copy off a PC World cover disk??????

SAlexander
10-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Is there a software program that would allow me to name them my way, to sort them to MY order and than have them saved in MY sequence. Grateful for help.

I know the program, which is necessary to you is Fast Photo Renamer (http://www.styopkin.com/fast_photo_renamer.html).

Richard
11-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Hagen, I don't know what version of Photoshop Elements you are using, but I find Elements 3 does everything you ask. In addition several Elements sites have video tutorials to help you store,sort and alter images. I love Elements 3!

Bugger, I have just discovered there is now an Elements 4!

Cheers
richard

FrankS
11-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Have you looked into Picasa2, a free download from Google