PDA

View Full Version : Reporting SPAM to Yahoo

Misty
06-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Xtra says that one should report SPAM to the ISP that the sender is using. As does most people on line we get a fair amount of SPAM. However I looked in properties and it said for SPAM two messages --

bradpitt_dommacphee@xtra.co.nz

Well, it might not have said bradpitt --but you get the picture. The underscore dommacphee is exactly what it said. Now why did the mail come to us when it did not say "jennifer" but instead this "dommacphee." Why did it come through to our mailbox ????

My thoughts were that I should take xtra to task but thought I would try to follow their policy ... so went to the homepage of the ISP provider of the sender, who happen to be Yahoo. There is a place on Yahoo that you can report SPAM which originates from a Yahoo email address, but guess what you have to join Yahoo mail first !!!

The whole system is useless. Yahoo would probably say that their policy is not to allow their system to be used to send SPAM, but then you have to be on their mail system to report it. This is neglect and not caring at a basic level. Everybody duckshoves. Think I will go back and report to Xtra.
Misty :mad: :mad:

johnboy
06-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Misty try this page and see if it works for you.
http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/us/ysearch/cgi_reportsearchspam
hth

johnboy
06-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Or here.
http://www.bearsystems.com/FightSpa/FightSpa.htm
hth

Safari
06-09-2005, 10:03 PM
You can't receive email unless it is addressed to you, have you heard of the BCC field.
Just because the sender had a Yahoo address does not mean it was sent from there.
You will need to check the headers of the message to determine where it originated from and probably won't be of much help anyway.
Just delete it and forget about it, we all get spam, no point getting paranoid about it.

Misty
06-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Or here.
http://www.bearsystems.com/FightSpa/FightSpa.htm
hth

Thanks johnboy - The one above seems to be the best for my particular problem. The first seems to be primarily for URL's (though I have sent through both !).
Many thanks
Misty ;)

I feel better - get them every day ...but for once have taken action !!
Unite :nerd:

Misty
06-09-2005, 10:27 PM
Just delete it and forget about it, we all get spam, no point getting paranoid about it.

Can't quite agree Safari, - for a start am not getting paranoid - just a bit pissed off !

Virtually every day just delete them (and have got to say that Xtra are excellent, indeed infallible, at finding them !!).

Just want to send a message - not to them, because then they know that I exist. Just saying to some ISP's that they need to be more vigilant.

Misty (no icon with sword and shield - now there is a deficiency - what about it Bruce ? ;) )
Misty :p

Safari
06-09-2005, 10:36 PM
The point I am getting at is that spammers don't send with a valid email address.
I can send out emails with your address in the From Field if I want and the Yahoo address you reported probably doesn't even exist.
So it may make you feel better but you have achieved nothing.