PDA

View Full Version : IBM 560z hard drive replacement

JudyK
05-09-2005, 10:49 PM
I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have an old (but still useful) IBM 560z laptop, however the hard drive is starting to get old and bad sectors are appearing. I've looked for replacments but I'm not sure what I can use. The original laptop (as per IBM) was offered with a 6.4 GB as the largest size. Most off-the-shelf laptop hard drives are now 40+ GB. Does anyone know if this laptop would recognize/use a 40+ GB drive?

I've searched manuals for the answer, with no luck. The BIOS is no help, since it does not have a section for specifying/selecting hard drive info. Anyone with experience in replacing the hard drive in this model of laptop?

Speedy Gonzales
05-09-2005, 11:45 PM
What version of Windows will you be installing on the new one?

If you find one??

It looks like there are 40+ GB hdds out there. BUT you may have to install windows 2000 to see most of it.

This looks like your laptop?

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=DSHY-3YTMRU

And the latest BIOS supports Windows 2000. It looks like you can use USB hdd's too.

Is this a Thinkpad 560z you've got??

JudyK
06-09-2005, 06:23 AM
Yes that is the one, the "IBM Thinkpad 560z". I currently have Windows 2000 on it using the 6.4 GB hard drive and the latest BIOS.

My concern is the BIOS may not recognize a hard drive over the 6.4 GB (since that was the maximum size IBM offered this laptop with). But, that said, I can not find ANY information on the maximum size hard drive this laptop will support. Even, in the BIOS itself there is no hard drive section (it must just auto-detect). I'm hoping that someone has some familiarity with this model of laptop or knows IBMs?

JudyK
07-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Anyone?

Speedy Gonzales
07-09-2005, 11:40 PM
I would say it will. Since I've seen 40 / 60 gb hdd's online.

You just have to format in NTFS, to get most of the hard drive.

Otherwise, if you're not sure, I would email ibm.