PDA

View Full Version : Problems with reformatting

outminder
03-09-2005, 11:42 PM
My external hard drive has a problem that when i tried to open it itsaid it needed reformatting.

So i refromatted it and it wouldn't let me do it in FAT 32 like it was meant to. It would only do it in FAT and then it brought up a load of folders with weird names.

And i tried check disk and it wouldn't work on the drive.

I know I'm thick but does someone know how to rectify this cos everytime I try to load it up now it says it needs reformatting and I'm guessing it's those files that are doing it.

Agent_24
03-09-2005, 11:45 PM
sounds dodgy. is this a new harddrive or an old one?

outminder
03-09-2005, 11:47 PM
about two/ three months old but the catalogue that I bought it form never charged me for it so I don't really wanna send it back in case they realise and charge me...

Agent_24
03-09-2005, 11:54 PM
this is probably the reason why you weren't charged for it.... what brand is it? perhaps you can download some diagnostic tools, and run those to check the harddrive's status

outminder
03-09-2005, 11:57 PM
it's a philips and I assumed that it was just the catalogues computers messing up... But it's been ok til now...

Agent_24
04-09-2005, 12:05 AM
how is it connected? maybe there is a problem with connection/drivers? how are you trying to format it... I suppose your problem could have come from disconnection of the drive while it was still in use, have you tried running scandisk on it?

outminder
04-09-2005, 12:08 AM
it's connected via USB... I had a look at the drivers and they all said that they were working properly in device manager. But then again device manager also said that the harddrive was working properly.

I tried running scandisk but it said that it couldn't check the drive for some reason.

Agent_24
04-09-2005, 12:27 PM
could be a power issue.. does the harddrive take power straight from the USB port or does it have a seperate power supply?

how are you trying to format the drive?

outminder
08-09-2005, 08:53 AM
it is powered via a seperate power supply...

And am reformatting with my computer by clicking on it... It says it needs formatting so I let it...

sorry to sound patronising but wasn't sure how to phrase it... :(

Agent_24
08-09-2005, 07:55 PM
no worries - what version of windows do you have?? if not linux or something else...
If you have XP then try:

start->settings->control panel->administrative tools->computer management->Storage->disk management-> Right click on the drive, delete partitions then reformat.

pctek
08-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Is it an actual hard drive in an enclosure? If so, I would take it out, connect it via IDE and format it that way.

outminder
10-09-2005, 11:40 PM
no worries - what version of windows do you have?? if not linux or something else...
If you have XP then try:

start->settings->control panel->administrative tools->computer management->Storage->disk management-> Right click on the drive, delete partitions then reformat.

am trying this now... see what happens... what's IDE by the way... I know I'm thick

outminder
10-09-2005, 11:42 PM
it won't let me delete partitions.

I now know why chkdsk didn't work properly though.. I ran it through command prompt and it said that the drive was being used by another application when it wasn't... any ideas.

outminder
15-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Some help please...

Jen
15-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Try doing this in safe mode. However I'm not sure how USB external drives work under safe mode. Is it USB?

outminder
19-09-2005, 10:42 PM
yeah tis usb... I'll try it and see what I can do thankyou...