PDA

View Full Version : Phantom partition?

Joe_Davies
01-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Hi Folks,

Last year, I bought a 40Gb HDD for my system, which runs Windows ME on a 1.4 Ghz Athlon chip. It was an upgrade from the 10Gb HDD I had before, so I wasn't too concerned when it only registered as a 23 Gb HDD. However, the time has now come to expand it to its proper size. (I'm planning to install XP pro and I need to make the change before I do.)

I tried to make an image of the disk so I could seamlessly transfer everything to another (18GB) HDD in the same system, then expand the source disk (using an overlay program from Seagate) to 40Gb and then transfer everything back again to my new 40Gb drive, thus avoiding having to reinstall all my software etc.

However, the 18Gb HDD that I transferred 14Gb of data to (from the soon-to-be 40Gb disk) got filled up before the transfer was finished. I was stumped, thinking one or more of the files must be corrupted.

But then I checked the system resources and found a partition which I didn't know I had. This partition takes up 7.8 Gb, on top of and quite separate to the 23Gb of data in the main partition.

Does anyone have any idea what this partition might be?

Any help appreciated.

Dusty
01-09-2005, 12:05 PM
I don't know a heck of a lot about the phantom partition but it is probably a Recovery Partition installed by the manufacturer or by the original pc company if your 40gig hdd was not new when you purchased it.

Here's a discussion on another forum: http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=119109&messageID=1351253

Good luck

Dusty
01-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Certainly Seagate did/does add the hidden Recovery Partition as did/does H.P.

drcspy
01-09-2005, 12:44 PM
hellofa big recovery partitionl............

Dusty
01-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Yes, I agree with your comment drcspy. Best bet is to unhide the partition and see what's in it.