PDA

View Full Version : XP <-> Win95 networking

Tony
31-08-2005, 09:11 AM
My financially and technologically challenged friend has at last ordered her new PC (ex TL Systems in the end, for those who have followed this saga from the beginning.)

At some point I have to transfer data from the old PC to the new one, and the obvious way is to set up a temporary network via crossover cable.

I just wondered if anyone knew of any issues around setting up networking in Win95? Is it basically the same as in Win98, or are there gotchas that I should be aware of?

TIA

Chilling_Silence
31-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Its the same as Win98 :)

Just follow the networking FAQ and you shouldnt have an issue

Tony
31-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Its the same as Win98 :)

Just follow the networking FAQ and you shouldnt have an issueThanks. If it is the same as Win98 it shouldn't be a problem.:thumbs:

Graham L
31-08-2005, 03:51 PM
I think there were some problems with the dialup software in W95. There were some patches needed. You should be OK with an Ethernet cable.

B.M.
31-08-2005, 04:02 PM
I’ve used a crossover cable between win95 – Win98 – Win98SE – and ME without a problem. But, introduce XP and I’ve had no luck. :yuck:

Can you keep us informed Tony? :thumbs:

godfather
31-08-2005, 04:21 PM
I tak e the quick and easy way.

Open up the 95 box and remove the HDD.
Set it on the jumpers to slave and put it temporarily as slave on the second IDE cable of the XP box, don't even screw it in.

Transfer whats needed and reverse the process.

Tony
31-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Open up the 95 box and remove the HDD.
Set it on the jumpers to slave and put it temporarily as slave on the second IDE cable of the XP box, don't even screw it in.

Transfer whats needed and reverse the process.That is an option that hadn't occurred to me. The HDD should have the jumper configuration for slave printed on it somewhere, shouldn't it?

I do suspect though that my friend might be a bit nervous when she sees me taking her old PC to bits before the data is transferred. :D

I've also just bought an ethernet card for this purpose on trademe for $2, so it would be a pity to let all that money go to waste. :D :D

B.M.
31-08-2005, 05:11 PM
The “godfather” method was how I overcame the problem in the end. :thumbs:

However, It would be nice to be able to use a cross-over cable for the times you haven’t got a screwdriver in your pocket and there is only a relatively small file to transfer. :)

Tony
10-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Ive used a crossover cable between win95 Win98 Win98SE and ME without a problem. But, introduce XP and Ive had no luck. :yuck:

Can you keep us informed Tony? :thumbs:Well, today was the day, and after a lot of stuffing around, I got the two PCs to see each other and I could see the files on each machine, but any attempt to copy files across failed.

Everything was hugely slow - recognising the machines, opening folders etc, and a copy just eventually timed out - although it did say it was doing it. The Win95 PC was very old and slow, but I didn't think it was that slow - what was happening I have no idea.

In the end it turned out that the amount of data that needed to be transferred was comparitively small - a few ZIPs and floppynet worked quite well. It would have been nice to do it the smart way, but we got there in the end.

BTW, when I opened up the old PC to put in the network card, the inside was full of cobwebs, and also a thin, dead earthworm was lying in the bottom of the case.

B.M.
10-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Tony,

You might find this site useful? Here (http://lpt.usbfireinfo.com/Support/DCC-SetUp/dcc-setup.htm)

Don't know about the earthworm? :D