PDA

View Full Version : slow downloads with Azureus

Agent_24
30-08-2005, 06:26 PM
It has got to the point where I can't download anything just about, I don't know what the problem is - I have no NAT errors, port 16889 is open in modem and same port is open in Norton and selected as the port to use in azureus.

I've turned uPnp off (as my modem doesn't support it), made sure the upload speed is 80% of the line capacity as most people suggest (although I can download and upload at full speed both at the same time on DC++,limewire,winmx (and emule too now, after stopping using Kad) so I don't see why azureus should have a problem there anyway

I've tried limiting connections, outbound attempts, everything I can think of or find I've tried it. I've tried lots of online tutorials, Tried other ports as well as the default, disabling norton makes absolutely no difference. I've also tried about every different version of azureus I can get my hands on, updated my java to latest version but nothing seems to work!

If anything, it's usually the uploads the go to max speed and say there, then when it finally decides to download, it goes to about 50% of full download speed(gets there very slowly), then just goes downhill back to 0kb/s and stays there for anywhere between 30 sec - 5 min then starts going back up, then finally both upload and download go down to 0kb/s and the whole thing refuses to work - even though the little green smiley icon is displayed throughout.

Anyone have any ideas about what could cause this?

MasturJeff
30-08-2005, 06:37 PM
I don't have any problems using it, I have like 9 of my router ports open.

6881-6889 I think are the ones that are open for me.

mark c
30-08-2005, 06:38 PM
I'm a cybersimpleton but the first thing I'd do is give the machine a Thorough going over for spyware/daware/viruse/ trojans et al and then run tne maintenance after running CCleaner. All in Safe Mode except for CCleaner. Also read the FAQ here re: Spyware:Adware (First)..HTH:)..thanks Graham L.

Battleneter
30-08-2005, 06:46 PM
I really hate Nortons, may as well remove half your ram and slow down your CPU has the same effect, (sorry rant) I hate Nortons.... anyway.

Id say loose Azureus, why do you want to use it if you have DC++? I have used Azureus in the past and its about 1/100th as good as DC++ in a decent international hub. If you have a Ferrai why use the bambina.

Forget the rest, just learn how to use DC++ better, you won't need the others. If you can't find a hub with 500TB or more, chances are your hub list sucks.

Agent_24
30-08-2005, 06:47 PM
maybe that's it; but if I open ports 6881-6889 in my modem, what port do I choose in Azureus, as it only allows you to select one?

I don't think I should have a problem with viruses/spyware as I have several programs (Spybot S&D, AdAware, SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, A-Squared, NAV and NIS 2005), though if you know of any other good ones I'll surely try them out!

Battleneter
30-08-2005, 06:50 PM
:thumbs:

Agent_24
30-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Maybe I'm on different hubs, but some things I have on azureus I haven't found on DC++, and I've got 2 half-finished downloads (2gb each) so I really want to be able to finish those off.... another thing azureus sometimes does is crash my IE, and I have to exit azureus and 'repair' the lan connection to the modem to fix it (but things like msn don't get disconnected :confused: )

Agent_24
30-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Sorry, make that my MSN Does get disconnected, along with everything else.

Battleneter
30-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Maybe I'm on different hubs, but some things I have on azureus I haven't found on DC++, and I've got 2 half-finished downloads (2gb each) so I really want to be able to finish those off.... another thing azureus sometimes does is crash my IE, and I have to exit azureus and 'repair' the lan connection to the modem to fix it (but things like msn don't get disconnected :confused: )

Do you want to give me some specfic examples of what you can't find?, followed by the word "shareware" or "demo" or "Movie trailer" . Don't want to break any forum rules.

For the first few days of piddleing around with DC++ I didnt think it was that great until I found decent hub lists.

Can't beleive if you were using DC++ well you'd even waist another minute on Limeware or Azureus.

Agent_24
30-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Well what I have been trying to find is microsoft's vista beta 1, specifically so I can play around with it and see what it's like - and the only place I've been able to find it is as a bittorrent..

For hubs I use most of the NZ hubs and most of the Chaotic Shareland hubs, haven't actually bothered looking for any others as the hubs I use at the moment seem to suit for just about everything, except for things such as vista, which as I said I couldn't find anywhere else. :waughh:

Battleneter
30-08-2005, 07:50 PM
Yep 29 people have this (not exactly a huge amount of people I admit)
en_longhorn_beta1_dvd.iso "2.2gig".....in the 3 hubs I am currently , and started downloading after about 5 seconds at 8K, however I run Revconnect C++ so this would speed up significanly within a few minutes as it adds sources.

However piracy is illegal so i cancelled this as it is commecial software etc :rolleyes:

Agent_24
30-08-2005, 07:56 PM
so, out of interest, what hubs do you usually use?

Battleneter
30-08-2005, 08:08 PM
so, out of interest, what hubs do you usually use?

2 of mine are private, however there are many just as good public hubs. Try this hub list (can't see anything wrong with posting a hub list) and try some of the top hubs. Past this hub list in DC++ => view => Public hubs. It may already be there.

http://www.hublist.org/PublicHubList.xml.bz2

Another thing, you MUST be in ACTIVE(edited post) mode, otherwise your searches will come up mostly zip.

To test search for "Smith" , I came up with over 2500 matches for your reference (3 hubs), if you only come up with 100 or so, your active mode is not working.

Also some hubs have huge share requirements, which is the only down side of DC++ for those without a lot of HDD space.

Battleneter
30-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Sorry I mean you must be in Active mode, firewalls and some DSL routers screw active mode up and you need to set up a port forward.]

Dont use passive mode

Agent_24
30-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Yeah I've got my DC++ set up with a No-Ip account for active mode, which works very well. :D