PDA

View Full Version : Installing Windows X P on new computer

gregoryj
23-08-2005, 06:36 PM
. Is it true that if you upgrade to a new computer, that you
can't use your copy of XP Windows ,that is that it will not activate, even
if you format the harddrive on your old computer before you sell it, so
the new owner must install their own os.

robsonde
23-08-2005, 06:45 PM
. Is it true that if you upgrade to a new computer, that you
can't use your copy of XP Windows ,that is that it will not activate, even
if you format the harddrive on your old computer before you sell it, so
the new owner must install their own os.

if you have new hardware then you might have problems with activation.

if you havent activated your copy of XP in the last 12 months then then should be no problem.

gibler
23-08-2005, 09:15 PM
see ms activation faq (http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx)

basically, I'd say that you'd end up ringing Microsoft to explain it.

Other info I found:

The selling or transfer of license ownership on previously activated XP OS is limited to retail versions only. OEM versions are restricted to the original computer it is installed and sale or transfer must include the computer.

If you are selling the copy of XP you removed, you will need to sell with all manuals, documentation, etc. that was originally supplied. You should also include a receipt stating you sold the copy of XP in compliance with the EULA. Steps 2 thru 4 (from FAQ#06) should also be explained to the buyer. It is not necessary for the buyer to explain anything during the phone call activation; other than it was removed in compliance with the EULA and installed on a new computer. Activation is anonymous and supplying information other than what is required will often delay the activation until documentation is faxed or snail mailed verifying the transfer was in compliance with the XP EULA. If prompted to supply information other than the previously stated requirement, ask to speak to a supervisor; if you are in compliance; state that you need your new install of XP on upgraded hardware activated and you meet the required terms of the EULA agreement.

There is no requirement you must state you are a new owner of a previously activated XP.

If you are selling the computer with XP installed, you should run the factory restore procedure to remove your data and return the system to it's shipped state. Be sure to include all the necessary CD and documentation. It is important to remove all software registered to the seller along with any confidential personal information.

Shortcircuit
23-08-2005, 09:16 PM
I think it could be the same as when I 'upgraded' almost everything in the comp case except the HD, as long as you can save a copy of the WPA (Windows production activation code) BEFORE you change computers and swap it over to the new Windows install.

ie; Windows activation compiles a unique WPA code based on the hardware in your system at the time it is originally activated, but it appears that a new Windows installation with mostly or all new hardware will accept the old WPA... mine works fine.

There will be a few threads on how to save the WPA to floppy or similar.