PDA

View Full Version : Website nesting help please

John W
23-08-2005, 01:36 PM
Hi there.

Ive a Website that I will be hosting various themed subsites from. But Im confused how I should be uploading them to the host provider.

Say I have three Sites I want to host under the home site, say www.mysite.co.nz. (mysite.co.nz does not have a home page) I want a Soccer site, a MTB Site and a Kindergarten site, with addresses www.mysite.co.nz/gijsc www.mysite.co.nz/mtbdn www.mysite.co.nz/tfk.

Ive named Folders in my PC (gijsc, mtbdn, tfk ) where I house the index files and everything else to do with that site.

So, when I upload, do I place these three Folders from my PC under the Host providers home folder (in this case www folder) or do I upload all the files from each of the three websites and place them under the www folder.

Im using discountdomains as the host provider.

Sorry if this sounds messy,but im new to this side of things.

Thanks John in Mosgiel.

netchicken
23-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Can you make subdomains?
soccar.mysite.co.nz?
mtb.mysite.co.nz

John W
23-08-2005, 02:13 PM
I thought it had to be the otherway round?

Graham L
23-08-2005, 03:07 PM
The way you have used (e.g. www.mysite.co.nz/mtb, etc. ) is just one website, with one IP address. The first name after the "/" is a subdirectory in that one site.

If you had the form mtb.mysite.co.nz, etc, you would need a different IP address for each site. Then the "home" of each such site is the "/" directory.

So, as far as I know, what you would do is have a directory (which will have that topic's own "index.html" homepage) for each of your sub-topics in the "/" directory. "index.html" in the "/" is the home page for the whole catastrophe, and because people will go there, make it into a gateway to the sub-topics.

sal
23-08-2005, 03:08 PM
Nope, you have the right idea. With any modern ftp client, just drag and drop the three folders into the www folder. netchicken's suggestion is good if your able to though. Does cPanel come with your hosting package? This makes setting up subdomains a snap.

John W
23-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Newbie dunce that I am, I moved this PC folder that contains the webfolder, onto the Host site, so it was nested twice deep, the first folder dosent have an index file, so nothing was shown.

When moved the webfolder to the host site, all went well and the page shows up as designed.

Thanks...... John in Mosgiel.