PDA

View Full Version : System won't POST - will resetting CMOS kill RAID Array?

Zygar
20-08-2005, 07:36 PM
As the title says. I was loosening some of my RAM timings, trying to get World of Warcraft to run without "error 132" and something went wrong. Now it won't POST. I assume getting it to boot again will be a simple matter of resetting the CMOS to default settings.

Unfortunately, I haven't backed anything up. (parents not wanting to get an external hard drive etc etc and no dvd burner.) There are 3 years worth of irreplaceable photos (Some backed up, some not) and assorted other files that it would not be nice to lose.

I have an MSI K8N Neo Platinum and I'm using the onboard SATA controller to run 2 seagate barracudas in RAID 0. If I reset the CMOS, will my RAID array die and take all my data with it? Or is the RAID BIOS on a different chip? (If so - it should simply be a matter of clearing the cmos and reenabling IDE RAID, right?)

Help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2005, 07:46 PM
I would say all you have to do, is re-configure the BIOS. To whatever state its in now.

Since that gets affected by pulling the battery.

Looks like that error has something to do with the memory can't be read.

And its a common prob/error.

Here's some info about error #132.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-tech-support&t=360560&tmp=1

pctek
20-08-2005, 08:11 PM
I have an MSI K8N Neo Platinum and I'm using the onboard SATA controller to run 2 seagate barracudas in RAID 0. If I reset the CMOS, will my RAID array die and take all my data with it? Or is the RAID BIOS on a different chip? (If so - it should simply be a matter of clearing the cmos and reenabling IDE RAID, right?)

Help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Why bother with RAID, I notice its the trendy thing lately.

http://www.acnc.com/raid.html
Disadvantages
Not a "True" RAID because it is NOT fault-tolerant
The failure of just one drive will result in all data in an array being lost
Should never be used in mission critical environments

And, which you probably care more about:
http://www.overclockercafe.com/Articles/RAID/pg_2.htm

Pointless.........

Zygar
20-08-2005, 08:17 PM
I am aware of this, which is why I'm not going with RAID the next time I reformat. Too much risk involved for not enough gain. But it is pretty nifty having a massive 372GB partition.

Anyway, I'm gonna go reset the CMOS now and pray that it doesn't screw the computer. This should be good leverage for getting an external HDD though.

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2005, 08:22 PM
If its a memory prob, I doubt resetting the BIOS/CMOS will fix it.

I would check the ram, if u have 2 simms remove 1 and see if that error comes back. Your ram maybe faulty.

pctek
20-08-2005, 09:08 PM
I am aware of this, which is why I'm not going with RAID the next time I reformat. Too much risk involved for not enough gain. But it is pretty nifty having a massive 372GB partition.

Buy a 400gb drive then. :D
And use the ones you have as USB drives - good for saving all your important data...

Zygar
20-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Okay, I reset the CMOS and no data loss. Thanks.