PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Terminal Server Specs

technicianxp
18-08-2005, 05:59 PM
We're planning to make an extra terminal server at my workplace where we have an extra P3 800MHz Compaq Proliant server with 384MB RAM lying around. Would this unit be capable of running Windows server 2003 as a terminal server if it were upgraded to 1GB RAM and a 1GHz CPU?

CYaBro
18-08-2005, 06:13 PM
It depends on what's going to be done on the terminal server.
I've been told that with a terminal server more RAM is best, approx 128MB per user that is logged in.
We have a P4 2GHz PC with 1GB RAM running Windows 2003 in terminal services application mode here at work and about 6 users logged in at any one time and it runs fine. Most users just doing word processing, browsing the net or running our job logging app.

CorbinH
18-08-2005, 06:29 PM
i hate to sound stupid but what is a terminal server?

technicianxp
18-08-2005, 06:40 PM
A terminal server is a server which other (usually slower and older) computers can logon to and use as if they were sitting in front of it. Also another question, would a gigabit NIC help? The terminal server will be designed to handle only a maximum of 10 clients who will be doing word processing, web browsing and so on at once for which I believe a 100Mbps connection would suffice but I just want to ask to get the most performance as the CPU is a bit outdated now.

CorbinH
18-08-2005, 06:45 PM
oh ok now i know lol, i dont get though like to log on to it do the users have to have like an old comp so by loggin on to the other comp its fasteR?

technicianxp
18-08-2005, 07:56 PM
A terminal server allows users to use it remotely. So for example, if you had a Windows 98 computer as a client it would startup as usual and then you would use whatever remote desktop client software is suitable to connect to the terminal server which would display its own logon screen, desktop and so on hardly anything to do with the client.

CorbinH
18-08-2005, 07:59 PM
oh ok i get it thanks for explaining it