PDA

View Full Version : computer ownership

effie c
18-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Hi,
I intend to buy a laptop in a few months, when the present leasee is automatically upgraded to a new computer.
Can I replace the present owner's name etc after I buy it, in a legitimate sale of outdated computer etc.or will forever and a day have to have the starter owner's name there
In other words my name will be the owner/user, whatever and not the person to whom it was first issued to.three years ago
If so, how would I go about it
effie c

johnboy
18-08-2005, 01:33 PM
to change the name that appears in the start menu.
Go to control panel/users accounts and change he name there.
To change the name of the computer itself.
Right click my computer click properties/computer name and change the name of the computer there.
hth

CYaBro
18-08-2005, 01:55 PM
To change the name of the registered owner on the general tab in System Properties:

Run regedit.
Do a search for RegisteredOwner <-- That's one word!
Double-click on it to change the name.

johnboy
18-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Esay way.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_change_owner.htm
hth

effie c
18-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Hi,
Thank you one and all- both your "local" advice and the internet site were abolutely what I wanted
Now all I have to do is wait :D
Not sure exactly when the first issued computer arrived, let alone the replacement :confused:
Hope it is well before the first secondary school term starts next year
:thumbs:

effie c

godfather
18-08-2005, 03:30 PM
You would be well advised to reformat and reload windows afresh. I certainly would not do anything other than a re-install.

Assuming XP or Windows 2000 was the OS, you will be unable to change the name on the folders that relate to the previous owner under My Documents. The instructions above are straightforward for the registered name of the computer owner, but not for the name on the existing folders.

Changing the name at log-in does not change the profile name for the folders (due to the "security" features of the OS).

But a new format/install does. You then get to choose.

pctek
18-08-2005, 03:44 PM
I'd do a reinstall too - it should have a recovery partition on it to enable a "factory restore". Apart from the folder names, it will leave you starting with a clean, uncluttered fresh O/S rather than left over bits and pieces from the previous usage.