PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Portage

jcr1
17-08-2005, 10:23 PM
I get the following error message when trying to update my Gentoo system;

!!! /etc/make.profile is not a symlink and will probably prevent most merges.
!!! It should point into a profile within /usr/portage/profiles/
!!! (You can safely ignore this message when syncing. It's harmless.)

!!! ARCH is not set... Are you missing the /etc/make.profile symlink?
!!! Is the symlink correct? Is your portage tree complete?

Can one of the Gentoo users give me a bit of guidance here please.

Jen
17-08-2005, 10:50 PM
You need to update your profile if you wish to use the 2005.1 release. You can find instructions on how to do this here (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml#instructions) including setting your architecture.

Further information about this can be found here (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml)

jcr1
17-08-2005, 11:20 PM
Thanks Jen,
I've been onto Gentoo forums and I'm not the first one whose been flummoxed by this.

Here is the code I used and the error message;
gentoo john # rm /etc/make.profile
gentoo john # ln -s ../usr/portage/profiles/2005.1 /etc/make.profile
ln: creating symbolic link `/etc/make.profile' to `../usr/portage/profiles/2005.1': No space left on device
gentoo john #

Oh dear, not my day. First a problem with Firefox on Windows and now this, where do I turn to next? Rush out & buy a Mac :stare:

vinref
18-08-2005, 12:19 AM
Thanks Jen,
I've been onto Gentoo forums and I'm not the first one whose been flummoxed by this.

ln: creating symbolic link `/etc/make.profile' to `../usr/portage/profiles/2005.1': No space left on device
gentoo john #

Oh dear, not my day. First a problem with Firefox on Windows and now this, where do I turn to next? Rush out & buy a Mac :stare:

Install FreeBSD or NetBSD.

jcr1
18-08-2005, 09:13 AM
gentoo john #
I wonder what it means "No space left on device", I would have thought there was plenty of space.

vinref
18-08-2005, 01:06 PM
You have run out of inodes?

Check the number of inodes with df -hi. Look at man df to find the correct usage in bash if that doesn't work. Look at the iused and the %used columns to see if there are any left for that particular partition, as well as the space use stats.

jcr1
19-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Thanks vinref,
Following is the output from df -hi;

Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/hdb4 0 0 0 - /
none 48K 1 48K 1% /dev/shm

But also I used df -h and following is its output;

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hdb4 8.6G 8.6G 1.2M 100% /
none 189M 0 189M 0% /dev/shm

Which I would say indicates I need to enlarge the Gentoo partition.
Funny thing though, I don't appear to have an /etc/make.profile ?

vinref
19-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Yeah, you've run out of space. I am suprised at that, but you must have a lot of stuff on the disk. You can simply delete old source files and things should go OK from then on.

Was that the complete df output? Am I correct in assuming you have only one partition dedicated to Linux?

Edit: You may be able to see which directory/filesystem is eating space with du -hd 1 (might take a long time, needs to be run as root).

Graham L
19-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Try find / -name core or locate core. If you've been getting "segfaults" you might have a few coredumps scattered around. They are often very big. And they are of no use to most users.

If you've been doing "a bit" of compiling, and you are now changing to another version you'll have a lot of object files which aren't needed now. A "make clean" in the root of the old source tree might help.

find / -name *.tmp.

Even so, 8.6 GB is a lot. I've got a Linux on a 40Mb disk. ;)

jcr1
19-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks vinref & GrahamL for your advice, but, unfortunately to say, Gentoo has gone.
I had figured that I needed more space on the linux partition, so, I dragged out Boot lt ng, a partitioning tool I've used successfully in the past. Trouble is, this time I've done something wrong and managed to obliterate my linux partition and lose the files I'd saved to the NTFS partition. Luckily the files I had on the NTFS partition, I'd backed up, well most of them anyway. Also because this is all on a hard drive (called it g in windows or hdb in linux) separate from my c drive, my windows os & other critical programs were all safe. It took me a while to be able to boot back into windows as Grub was all mucked up. Then I had to go about putting my files back onto the g drive.
I think I'll re-install Gentoo, but on a separate computer. I have a 400 or 450 mhz machine here with lots of ram on it (I believe Linux likes lots of ram). I also have a KVM switch in a box of bits and pieces and a 10gig hard drive as well.
The machine at present has, I believe, a 4 gig Hdd. So with another 10, I feel it wouldn't be too bad to experiment with linux on and with the KVM switch it doesn't need to be too obtrusive in an office that already is limited for space.
Anyway, I was sorry to see Gentoo go, but maybe a scenario something like I've outlined above might in the long run prove to be better, and, in any case me doing a re-installation might be good as it could reinforce a lot that I might have forgotten or not quite understood from the first experience with Gentoo.

Chilling_Silence
21-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Ive done a Gentoo install on a 1.2GB HDD. I would _not_ recommend anybody else try it.... Fun, but a real time-waster ;)

Quickest way to clear some space in Gentoo:
rm -rf /usr/portage/distfiles/*