PDA

View Full Version : Corel Paintshop Pro 9 vs Adobe illustrator CS2 12

splatman41
16-08-2005, 07:53 PM
I am thinking of buy a graphical design program.

Being a student, i can buy the academic version of Adobe Illustrator CS2 12 for around $160 (normally about $920)

Corel [formerly JASC] Paintshop Pro 9 can be purchased for around $340.

I want to know which program would be better to make pictures as a MS Paint replacement for me, who has no experience in graphical design above MS Paint.

Please Help

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Anything is better than MS Paint.

These programs do things totally different.

Illustrator deals more with vector gfx doesnt it? and PSP deals with gfx formats, Jpegs etc.

splatman41
16-08-2005, 08:01 PM
I dont know. I was just reading the PC World awards thing, and Adobe Illustrator Came first in graphical editing and i was just wondering about it. I already know what Paintshop Pro9 can do.

quarry
16-08-2005, 11:46 PM
I dont know. I was just reading the PC World awards thing, and Adobe Illustrator Came first in graphical editing and i was just wondering about it. I already know what Paintshop Pro9 can do.

You are comparing the wrong software - illustrator is for drawing, paintshop is for photo editing. what you should look at is coreldraw - which is similar to illustrator.

splatman41
16-08-2005, 11:52 PM
I was sure that Paintshop Pro was a draw suite among other things.

Look Here (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/Devlin_666/Step1.jpg).

that has drawing tools on the left, but they look like they are a class higher than the tools in MS Paint. [i borrowed this pic from a friend]

Speedy Gonzales
17-08-2005, 12:02 AM
Most of those tools on the left in PSP 9 u use after u load a graphic/photo.

(about 40-50 formats)

For editing etc. I've got PSP 9 on here at the mo.

And adding text to them/filling in whatever with colors.

Catweazle
17-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Most graphic programs now have some common tools and stuff, it depends whats pushed in that particular program. Photoshop does some vector but mostly raster graphics (I find photoshop vector pretty nasty), as does paintshop pro and the gimp (if I recall). Illustrator can handle some raster but its main forte is vector graphics. Flash handles..well..flash graphics and animations, and the likes of Painter, Deep Paint etc. take care of the natural media area (painterly styles, oils, watercolour etc).

From what you say your uses will be, I'm going to say paintshop pro or the gimp is probably more what you're looking for unless you can find a cheap copy of photoshop.

pixeldust
17-08-2005, 08:25 AM
If you're not wanting to spend too much and only wanting a MS Paint replacement, The Gimp (http://www.gimp.org/) is a good option. It's free and has most tools that PSP and Photoshop have. It's worth finding out if it would be sufficient.

You could look at buying a second hand copy of Photoshop - check TradeMe. Version 5.5 - 6 shouldn't cost too much, and have the majority of tools that the later versions have. Personally, I wouldn't use anything other than Photoshop for my graphics work, but the Gimp is a good solution if you don't have much money.

quarry
17-08-2005, 02:02 PM
I was sure that Paintshop Pro was a draw suite among other things.

Look Here (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/Devlin_666/Step1.jpg).

that has drawing tools on the left, but they look like they are a class higher than the tools in MS Paint. [i borrowed this pic from a friend]

paintshop isnt vector based - read the title - 'paint' -shop pro , as opposed to corel - 'draw'.